Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i finally got one

twisted stick

i just wanted let everyone know i got my first detector. i bought
a tesoro cibola and i am proud of it. i started using it in my yard and
i have found a few coins and some scrap metal but scrap or not
i love using it and the excitement of digging up the prize.

Twisted stick i know that is a great detector i heard lot of good about it from the detector dealer when i bought my Vaquero.The dealer was in the city a couple of day's for a civil war show.He invited me to come out,he calmed he could tune the cibola to pick up a coin at like twenty one inches.I said how?.He said i got a wooded stand he put it in to tune it.But i did not make it out there.

Be careful! this hobby can be very addictive. LOL
HH
BB

Congrats on a great Tesoro unit. Glad to have you on board.

twisted stick said:
i just wanted let everyone know i got my first detector. i bought a tesoro cibola and i am proud of it. i started using it in my yard and
i have found a few coins and some scrap metal but scrap or not i love using it and the excitement of digging up the prize.
My first detector was Silver Sabre II, a direct ancestor of the Cibola. They are great first time detectors. Here are a few tips:

- Place a nickel, and a zinc cent, on the ground. Sweep each as you increase the DISC control, and mark the spot where they break up on the DISC dial. I use dot of red paint or something similar. Now you have aTID-range detector! This makes it a simple matter to know what range a target falls into, by quickly thumbing the DISC knob.

- Bump the threshold up a notch or two above minimum. This will sharpen audio responses. In clean ground, crank it way up, and you will hit harder on the really deep targets. This is called "Super Tuning."

- Keep your SENS under control. There is very little reason to run into the orange HOT range, unless you are on clean ground, with little trash.

- When you have acquired a target, practice slowing to half speed and moving over it in a circling "X" pattern. Soon, this will become habit and you will have little need for the pinpoint button.
It will also open up audio nuances you will not otherwise hear.
Do this as you thumb the DISC control and it wont be long before you can tell what most targets are, before you dig.

- If your detector seems erratic while hunting, hit the pinpoint button. Chances are good that you have encountered iron junk, which drives detectors batty. By switching to the pinpoint, all metal mode, you will hear the swollen, blooming response of iron and know what is causing you difficulties.

The Cib is super hot and a great first time detector. Excellent choice. I hope these tips help.

Congrats on the new CIbola.
Good advice from Dahut.
My preference for running is slightly different but what David says about learning the discriminator, target location and using the discriminator to ID before digging are how I use it too.

Once I got to know my Cibola a little better, I pretty much stopped hunting super tuned since I'd have to readjust to use the pinpoint / all metal and at full super tuned, it loved to find deep big iron. I'll run the sensitivity as high as I can with out falsing a lot. Most places I hunt that will put the dial at the edge of the red or well into the red. And I use the pin point to get a sense of depth and target size, not just to hear the bonging sound bigger iron makes.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Oh and scrap metal can add up too. I save the lead, brass and copper. Once I get several pounds collected, it goes to the local metal recycler for cash.
Cheers,
tvr

Once I got to know my Cibola a little better, I pretty much stopped hunting super tuned since I'd have to readjust to use the pinpoint/all metal and at full super tuned, it loved to find deep big iron.
This is true. I don't advocate wide out Super Tuning for general, use except on the cleaner sites, like fields or in the woods. But I have found that if you just "bump" the THRESH control a bit, you will "tune up" all responses, across the board.

I'll run the sensitivity as high as I can with out falsing a lot. Most places I hunt that will put the dial at the edge of the red or well into the red.
This is generally good advice. I'm pretty sure the manual also says this.
But many people are guilty of simply cranking everything to max, in the belief that it will "suck in" targets, or something like that.
This is actually counterproductive. SENS that is too high will only cause the dreaded falsing and erratic behavior, particularly in trashy ground - which is where most newbies head upon acquiring their first detector.

And I use the pin point to get a sense of depth and target size, not just to hear the bonging sound bigger iron makes.
I cannot argue with this. One of the great things about these Tesoros is their tight response in either pinpoint or DISC mode. Once you get the speed right, you hardly need the pinpoint on good targets... they are that tight.

Oh and scrap metal can add up too. I save the lead, brass and copper. Once I get several pounds collected, it goes to the local metal recycler for cash.
Over the course of the year, it can add up, that is for sure! I keep a scrap bucket for iron and one for copper/brass.