Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Finally Broke In My New Equinox

floodplaindetector

Finds attached are from 2 shorter weekends (About first 25 total hours of swinging) . All finds were found with the Equinox a few hundred miles south of home (North Dakota) in fairly hard, somewhat frozen ground with still a little snow in places. Sites were public city parks and old schools that have been pounded hard.

After reading the manual a few times and the Andy's handbook and watching a lot of videos and listening to many opinions I was ready to get out and actually use it and get a feel for it.
Being an eTrac user for Thousands of hours, I thought i would start out in 50 tone but soon realized I would have a hard time isolating nickels as this detector hits so hard on the low mostly junk tones above the nickel range so I set up my own custom 5 tone program and started doing much better. I also like the fact in 5 tone I can set any silver coin like dimes to the highest tone pitch. I will continue refining my 5 tone program.
I kept a lower volume and tone in the unwanted bin ranges but still enough sound to hear the target well and give me the option to chase the signal if I wanted.
Crown caps were really kicking me in the rear on the nickel range targets and I will have to learn the tricks to avoid them. I believe there are some frequency shift and coil pumping tricks.
Right away I noticed the great separation the machine has and how it locks onto coins hard once you isolate them.
In most cases I was not fooled by Iron even with my Iron bias set on 0 and found it pretty easy to recognize the iffy coin signals.
I also tried the 12x15 inch coil briefly but I am not sure I like it yet as the length created a lot of drag on the ground and started hurting my arm and back like my eTrac days again.
I did hit an 8 inch 1929 Merc easily with the big coil. I am feeling so far like the stock coil and its separation are the strength of the machine.
With the stock coil, the deepest coin I dug was a measured 8.5 inch wheat penny. The deepest target so far was a 11 inch shotgun head stamp. Hopefully I can pull some 10-11 inch coins. That will impress me a little.
I know I have a ton to learn about this machine but I have had fun with it so far and my arm and back weren't throbbing at the end of the day.
I have Steve's custom shaft with a counter weight also, It was really enjoyable swinging a light, balanced, wireless machine for a change.
Thanks for looking!
Dave.

My Settings were:
Park 1
Sensitivity 23-25
Recovery 3-4
My Custom 5 tone program
Iron Bias F2 = 0
I always noise cancelled but left the ground balance on 0.

Coin Finds
11 silver dimes are back to 1920.
Nickels are 1930,1941,1947
Indian head pennies are 1902,1903
22 Wheat pennies are back to 1917

Non Coin Finds
1945 Kellogg's Pep Cereal Superman Pin (This was a faint 7 inch target in the nickel range)
2 sterling stamped turquoise rings
Tiny U.S. Jaycees pin
Ornate button, smaller flat button, overall button
Top of cuff link
Miniature hammer head
Old zipper pull
GroupShot.jpg
1945SuperManPin.jpg
SterlingRings.jpg
ReligiousMedal.jpg
OnePieceButton.jpg

Doing good Dave, hope you get to know this detector well as I will be asking question when I see you. What I have seen with mine is impressive, but sure dig a lot of trash compared to my Sovereign GT when I have had time to get out. I want to get one of Steve shaft too and look at yours when I see you.

You have the detector fever for sure.

Rick

Wow, that's a pretty good haul there, Dave! VERY impressive, for such few hours on your Equinox. Yes, there are "tricks" to digging fewer of the caps that masquerade as nickels; switching to one of the single frequencies (as you mentioned) will result in higher ID if it's a cap, but will hang steady in the 13 range if it's a nickel or ring tab...but I'm not one to chase nickels, unless I'm at a really old site. Just too much junk, that is too close to the nickel range, to be worth the limited amount of detecting time "in the field," that I have available to me.

Anyway, GREAT JOB!

Steve

it is VERY impressive. Where did you search? I plan to go hunting for gold, but the only really interesting places for me are Alaska and the UK. I recently finished work on my map. And now I'm going to use it. The first place I will be excavating North Carolina. It was here that the first gold was found. John Reid Gold Mine in Termal. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Gold_Mine

Attachments

• 805800291.jpg
    805800291.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 132
Nice going great finds! so you like the Nox? I always run 5 tones also..
Mark

A well thought out plan yields great results as is evident with your post Dave. Your deeper ones will come with some practice in the form of shorter response, broken tones and no tid's. Congrats on super maiden voyage, hope the weather continues to cooperate, smooth sailing!
HH Jeff

Finds attached are from 2 shorter weekends (About first 25 total hours of swinging) . All finds were found with the Equinox a few hundred miles south of home (North Dakota) in fairly hard, somewhat frozen ground with still a little snow in places. Sites were public city parks and old schools that have been pounded hard.

After reading the manual a few times and the Andy's handbook and watching a lot of videos and listening to many opinions I was ready to get out and actually use it and get a feel for it.
Being an eTrac user for Thousands of hours, I thought i would start out in 50 tone but soon realized I would have a hard time isolating nickels as this detector hits so hard on the low mostly junk tones above the nickel range so I set up my own custom 5 tone program and started doing much better. I also like the fact in 5 tone I can set any silver coin like dimes to the highest tone pitch. I will continue refining my 5 tone program.
I kept a lower volume and tone in the unwanted bin ranges but still enough sound to hear the target well and give me the option to chase the signal if I wanted.
Crown caps were really kicking me in the rear on the nickel range targets and I will have to learn the tricks to avoid them. I believe there are some frequency shift and coil pumping tricks.
Right away I noticed the great separation the machine has and how it locks onto coins hard once you isolate them.
In most cases I was not fooled by Iron even with my Iron bias set on 0 and found it pretty easy to recognize the iffy coin signals.
I also tried the 12x15 inch coil briefly but I am not sure I like it yet as the length created a lot of drag on the ground and started hurting my arm and back like my eTrac days again.
I did hit an 8 inch 1929 Merc easily with the big coil. I am feeling so far like the stock coil and its separation are the strength of the machine.
With the stock coil, the deepest coin I dug was a measured 8.5 inch wheat penny. The deepest target so far was a 11 inch shotgun head stamp. Hopefully I can pull some 10-11 inch coins. That will impress me a little.
I know I have a ton to learn about this machine but I have had fun with it so far and my arm and back weren't throbbing at the end of the day.
I have Steve's custom shaft with a counter weight also, It was really enjoyable swinging a light, balanced, wireless machine for a change.
Thanks for looking!
Dave.

My Settings were:
Park 1
Sensitivity 23-25
Recovery 3-4
My Custom 5 tone program
Iron Bias F2 = 0

Coin Finds

Non Coin Finds
1945 Kellogg's Pep Cereal Superman Pin (This was a faint 7 inch target in the nickel range)
Tiny U.S. Jaycees pin
Top of cuff link
Miniature hammer head
Old zipper pull
View attachment 1676View attachment 1677View attachment 1678View attachment 1679View attachment 1680
For somebody that's brand new to the Equinox 800 you certainly did exceedingly well, which goes to prove that experience does make a difference.

Thanks for looking!
Dave.

My Settings were:
Park 1
Sensitivity 23-25
Recovery 3-4
My Custom 5 tone program
Iron Bias F2 = 0

Coin Finds

Non Coin Finds
Tiny U.S. Jaycees pin
Top of cuff link
Miniature hammer head
Old zipper pull
View attachment 1676View attachment 1677View attachment 1678View attachment 1679View attachment 1680
I’d say your getting the hang of it!....I like hunting with 5 tones also. I love the fact that you can set the tone pitch to your liking. It sure is nice hunting with wireless phones isn’t it?....How bout the weight?....much better!....I’m sure enjoying mine!

Thanks Rick. Yep, get Steve's custom shaft with a counter weight. They work really well.
I had fun hunting with James a lot last year with the eTrac and big coils but my back stiffened up so bad after our last hunt in December
that I had to do physical therapy. I had to make a switch. I will keep learning.
Dave

Doing good Dave, hope you get to know this detector well as I will be asking question when I see you. What I have seen with mine is impressive, but sure dig a lot of trash compared to my Sovereign GT when I have had time to get out. I want to get one of Steve shaft too and look at yours when I see you.

You have the detector fever for sure.

Rick

Thanks for the comments Steve and I appreciate all the Info!
Dave

Wow, that's a pretty good haul there, Dave! VERY impressive, for such few hours on your Equinox. Yes, there are "tricks" to digging fewer of the caps that masquerade as nickels; switching to one of the single frequencies (as you mentioned) will result in higher ID if it's a cap, but will hang steady in the 13 range if it's a nickel or ring tab...but I'm not one to chase nickels, unless I'm at a really old site. Just too much junk, that is too close to the nickel range, to be worth the limited amount of detecting time "in the field," that I have available to me.

Anyway, GREAT JOB!

Steve

Thanks. I hit city parks and schools in the mid to northern plains.
Good luck on your gold hunting.

it is VERY impressive. Where did you search? I plan to go hunting for gold, but the only really interesting places for me are Alaska and the UK. I recently finished work on my map. And now I'm going to use it. The first place I will be excavating North Carolina. It was here that the first gold was found. John Reid Gold Mine in Termal. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Gold_Mine

Thanks Mark. Yes, its working pretty well so far other than my frustration on crown caps.
I will have to put more hours in and keep learning the machine nuances.
Yes, I like that customizable 5 tone. I will stick with that.
Dave

Nice going great finds! so you like the Nox? I always run 5 tones also..
Mark

Thanks for the comments Jeff!
I will have to get use to some of the deeper targets after I get more hours on it. Hopefully it can come close to eTrac's depth.
Dave

A well thought out plan yields great results as is evident with your post Dave. Your deeper ones will come with some practice in the form of shorter response, broken tones and no tid's. Congrats on super maiden voyage, hope the weather continues to cooperate, smooth sailing!
HH Jeff

My thousands of hours over the years does help me research and read the sites to help my odds.
I am looking forward to using this machine.

For somebody that's brand new to the Equinox 800 you certainly did exceedingly well, which goes to prove that experience does make a difference.

You said it Joe. Wireless is so nice. These headphones aren't near as bulky as my Grey Ghosts which will be really nice when it gets hot.
I found myself very relaxed when I was hunting because the machine was so balanced and light. I wasn't thinking about my arm and back pain for a change.
Yep, I will definitely stick with 5 tones and try to lock on the nickels also.
Dave

I’d say your getting the hang of it!....I like hunting with 5 tones also. I love the fact that you can set the tone pitch to your liking. It sure is nice hunting with wireless phones isn’t it?....How bout the weight?....much better!....I’m sure enjoying mine!