Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I feel your pain and two Explorers together= )*(*^%$%

Buddysox

A friend of mine called this morning from the Chicago area and sent me pictures of the Ice and Snow. Whoa! you guys are getting Hammered! Buddy said they would probably be housebound until at least Friday.Told him I felt his pain, low 50's here in Phoenix and I actually had to put on a light jacket. Nice detecting weather though. If anybody is jealous of that they are invited to visit in July- August and detect in 110 degree heat. Either freeze or fry, that's the choice.
Recently a longtime friend retired and he wanted to get an Explorer and learn to detect, he found a good used SE and I promised to take him out and get him started right. I know that the SE is a good machine but can be overwhelming for a newbe. Getting to my favorite park I gave him a short lesson on the factory settings and tones to use for a time to get used to it. I then cranked mine up intending to stay close and let him go over signals I found and be able to go over his signals and explain what was going on. NO WAY! Both machines went crazy! After the initial shock I remembered reading in the forum about running two explorers together that they interfere with each other. That's an understatement. A bit of testing showed we had to keep them at least 20 feet apart. I had been out with other explorers before but we didn't hunt close. Fortunately I had a headphone plug splitter so I just walked along with him and listened to the same thing. Worked fine and we found some clad and a couple of wheats. My buddy's eyes really lit up when he hit a real sweet high tone, I thought it could be a Merc but didn't tell him in case I was wrong. It was! So his first outing he dug silver. not a bad day at all. And my friend is now hooked on detecting.

Nice post Buddysox and glad to hear that you got another friend hooked on detecting. Nothing sweeter then finding silver on your buddies first hunt and I'm sure he will do very well with his SE as he is already off to a very good start.:clapping: I know what you mean with the noise when two Minelabs are in close range of each other. They say a noise cancel will eliminate some of the chatter between detectors, but that is not always the case. GL & HH to you and your friend on your next outing.

Eddie

I may have to go back to the manual and look, but can't you manually change the frequencies so they don't interfere with each other? Such as in the case of a seeded hunt, where there certainly may be more than one Explorer being used?

We did try doing a noise cancel and it seemed to help a bit. At one point,my unit was motionless on the groung with a good threshold and I could actually hear what he was hitting with his detector thru MY detector! I have an EXPll and he was using the SE, don't know if that makes any difference. At any settings it seemed that about 20ft apart was what it needed. Maybe somone with more experience with this can comment.

I hunt with a buddy that uses an XS, and I use either an XS or Etrac. I have found the coil I'm using seems to make a lot of difference with the interference with our machines. He uses a stock coil, but I either use a 10 x 12 butterfly coil or the 7" SunRay. The butterfly normally we can't get within 5 feet or so without the machines going crazy, however, with the SunRay coil on, I can hunt right next to him. You might try changing coils if you have another teaching session. Good Luck

Thanks Hunter, That may be it. I had a monster 15x 18 SEF coil on at the time, he had the stock 1050 coil. Could be the problem.

Interesting subject, that I must add something to:

I was out with a new explorer user once, at a particular park where I knew, for a fact, that there was still a few "text-book deepie silver/wheatie" type waffly-fluty signals to find. Figured this would be a good park to introduce the new explorer user to what he's supposed to be listening for.

We each cranked up our machines, and then ...... instinctively ......... separated ourselves far enough away that there would be no more cross-talk. And yes, we did noise cancels independantly of each other. The idea was, that I was going to "flag" a few signals, and then call him over to hear them with his machine. But after 15 minutes, I couldn't find a good deepie signal to save my life! I was thinking "gee, I know for a fact the last time I was here, that there seemed to be more that would easily forthcoming". Finally, after 20 min. or so of not finding the "just right" signal to show him, I finally found a so-so poor signal, that ... at least .... might offer some audio lessens. I motioned for him to come over to my side of the park. When he did though, he turned off his machine, just by force of habit I guess.

It was then that I noticed an odd phenomenom: When he turned his machine off, ......... all of the sudden, the signal I had 'cleaned up", and became the tooty-fluty-tell-tale deepie turf signal I was looking for.

So the moral of this story is: Even though you separate far enough away from another explorer user that CROSS-TALK ceases, you STILL have to go dozens of yards further, because there is STILL in-audible cross-talk going on, that is below the threshold of being heard in your audio. How far that distance is, I dunno. But to simply walk *just* far enough to cease hearing another exp. user, is still close enough that he is affecting your depth/performance. You've got to go further still.

It takes a special friend to help another that much.
Been struggling with my black F75 LTD. The dirt where I live has a hot touch that really wrecks havoc on single frequency machines. Been very seriously considering the Explorer as the machine I need. One of my hunting buddies uses the Etrac, and I can honestly say if out performs mine where we live. Actually my other two hunting buddies use multi-frequency machines that also put me in last place.

Buddysox said:
A friend of mine called this morning from the Chicago area and sent me pictures of the Ice and Snow. Whoa! you guys are getting Hammered! Buddy said they would probably be housebound until at least Friday.Told him I felt his pain, low 50's here in Phoenix and I actually had to put on a light jacket. Nice detecting weather though. If anybody is jealous of that they are invited to visit in July- August and detect in 110 degree heat. Either freeze or fry, that's the choice.
Recently a longtime friend retired and he wanted to get an Explorer and learn to detect, he found a good used SE and I promised to take him out and get him started right. I know that the SE is a good machine but can be overwhelming for a newbe. Getting to my favorite park I gave him a short lesson on the factory settings and tones to use for a time to get used to it. I then cranked mine up intending to stay close and let him go over signals I found and be able to go over his signals and explain what was going on. NO WAY! Both machines went crazy! After the initial shock I remembered reading in the forum about running two explorers together that they interfere with each other. That's an understatement. A bit of testing showed we had to keep them at least 20 feet apart. I had been out with other explorers before but we didn't hunt close. Fortunately I had a headphone plug splitter so I just walked along with him and listened to the same thing. Worked fine and we found some clad and a couple of wheats. My buddy's eyes really lit up when he hit a real sweet high tone, I thought it could be a Merc but didn't tell him in case I was wrong. It was! So his first outing he dug silver. not a bad day at all. And my friend is now hooked on detecting.