Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I feel compelled to post this about Monte Berry Sr.

steven77

I feel compelled to post this!

3 weeks ago I was very privileged to attend a 2 day seminar on metal detecting given by Monte Berry Sr.

I am 62 years old and although I have been metal detecting for over 20 years in Oregon, I have kept pretty much to myself all these years and detected alone or with my wife on occasion. I just recently joined a local Metal Detecting Club. The Oregon Treasure Trail Society. It was there that I first heard about Monte as he is considered a legend to the long time members of the club. He does not attend the clubs meetings due to his physical problems but his name still pops up all the time.

I first contacted Monte a few months ago by email through this website. I had a question about my new XT-70 and told him I was a local (Portland, OR area) guy and he replied with the info I needed along with his phone number. I called him and asked if we could get together some time and detect and we did so a few days later.

We spent 3 hours together and I did my best to pick his brain about our hobby. Although I have over 20 years experience in this hobby and thought I knew a lot about metal detectors and how they worked, I can honestly say that I knew NOTHING compared to Monte

I have been detecting for almost 30 years and if there was a contest I won and could pick whomever I wanted to spend a days hunting with, Monte would be the one! I do not know you personally Monte, but I sure wish I did!!! I know I'd be better off! You da man!

and Monte has a way to put the points across in words. One can tell that he has put in many years in observations, I look forward to your book, whenever you get thru with it, Monte, best wishes,regards,
Steve(MS)

I have enjoyed Detecting for many years. And in the last couple years have become more in tune with allot to do with detectors and detecting. (In Tune......LOL get it?)

All the knowledge I have received has been from my father, who is the most knowledgeable person in the Detecting Field, that I know of! I don't know many, but have meet a few here, a few there, been to some clubs, and meetings, and other outings in the past, but know one that has stood out to me.

My Father is the one that you speak of, he is Monte Sr., I over the last few years, learning from my father have found allot of pleasure, understanding, and knowledge. And reading post like these above, really makes me proud to have a father with such dedication to what he loves. I can only wish that in my life time that I could obtain all that he knows of detecting.

Anyhow. I basically wanted to make sure I am not dealt the recognition he fully deserves, and to clear up that he is Sr. I am Jr. not much more then 34.

Thanks Monte Jr

That was my mistake and I apologize for the error.

Of course I was speaking of Monte Sr. when I made my post.

Thank you for correcting me.

I have edited my post.

Steven

First of all I dont think Monte is easily flipped off his chair, I was there when the dispute on the Troy X2 and its similarity to the Silver sabre was going on and that sure was some though shit. Ofcourse Monte was correct.

I have bought detectors after Montes advice and never was I unhappy or never did he say something untrue.

Some like to argue and some "must" post an offending post and it seem like the names is the same too on the posters, having in mind my sunspot activity mail on the Explorer classroom forum.

I believe detecting and charing his knowlege is Montes life beside his family, dont think he stops posting and sure as hell hope he continues.

regards.

bfodnes,, Norway

We all appreciate Monte. I have learned a lot of good info from his posts. I have probably learned more tech info from him than the others. There are 4 others who I also follow closely. Thanks again
John R

Monte's seminar was held a few weeks ago in Tigard, Oregon.

One day of class with questions in which he detailed the history of detectors and their advancements through the years. He went into detail the workings of all the features on detectors and their coils. In between giving us the technical schooling, he would insert personal experiences from his many years in the hobby. It made for a facinating and enjoyable learning experience.

The 2nd day was on site at a local park where he helped everyone understand their own particular detector and how to use it properly. He showed them ground balancing; discriminating; etc. Everything including tips on certain detectors to tweak their performance and add depth and increase accurate readings.

He said he is just finishing up his book and should have it ready soon. I sure plan on getting a copy and I suggest anyone interested in learning more about our beloved hobby do the same.

Take care all,

Steven