Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I don't like spiders

Bayrat76

It seems all my life as far back has I can remember, I've had a fear of spiders. Doesn't matter what kind they are how big or small. I don't like them. Very early in life my dad would chase me around with Tarantula's. That is one of my early memories as a little guy, I was about 2 to 3 years old. Tarantula's were all over the place we had fifty acres outside of Rockport with a big pond in the back yard, we had goats, turkeys a pet coon named Rosco, we even had a monkey till my mother made my dad get rid of it. Monkeys are natural born biters, and meaner than Hell to. The Monkey lasted about a week an he had chewed up everybody pretty good.
My dad was a Doctor and open the first Hospital up here in Aransas Pass and Rockport, both were small fishing towns. Many of the shrimpers would go down in to Mexican waters to fish, they would bring back all kinds of pets, from there. So many of them couldn't pay there bills so my dad would take trade for his services. so we got all kinds of animals and kept well fed with fresh fish and shrimp.

Well back to the spiders everybody in my family knew I didn't like spiders at all, but every spring when the yellow garden spiders would cover the roads with there web and them sitting right in the middle of it waiting for a meal. Well one morning my grandfather and my uncle Herb told me to come with them they needed to go check on something, so I got in the back of our 1947 Willis jeep, my grandfather told me to get the hoe handle and get on the hood. I knew then we were going to the river. The white brush was at least 8 to 10 feet tall down that narrow rode and it would be covered in garden spiders which webs would go from one side to the other side of the road and many of these spiders would go 4 inches in a circle, like I said they are sitting in the middle of them waiting for something to fly into them. Well it was a damp night and the grass was wet so I thought I might get lucky and the dew would have the webs hanging low. Well we took off crossed the rail road tracks and I opened the gate I knew then it was going to be a long ride for me. I could see then all ready hanging there no where near the ground like I had hoped for. Well I got up on the hood of the old Willis jeep with my feet on the front bumper and we took off. Herb was in a jacking around mood that morning he would speed up every time we came up to a web and I be swinging like hell to knock them down. Finally we came to a spot were they where stacked up one right after another an Herb took off like hell and I was screaming for him to slow down that's when I noticed I had one crawling on my neck and one on my arm and still trying to knock the webs down we were coming too, and get the 2 off me at the same time, that's when I heard my grandfather scream out in pain. Some where in all the commotion I'd had reared back with the hoe handle hit my grandfather in the collar bone, it was about then I rolled off the side of the jeep to get the spiders off me not caring if the jeep ran me over. I came up cursing like a sailor with the jeep stopped in front of me, I saw my grandfather holding his right shoulder. He gave me that look and it had dawned on me about what I had just said, plus I smacked the crap out of him, and jumping off a moving vehicle I knew I was dead for sure at that moment. If his shoulder didn't hurt so bad he would of beat the crap out of me right there. Herb told my grandfather it was his fault for most of it and got me off the hook for some of it, but like my grandfather said the cursing was not going to be put up with. The rest of way to the river Herb slowed down I kept the spiders off everybody and I was scared to death not of the spiders but the whipping that was heading my way.

When we got back to the house I was ready to write out my last will, but to my surprises he took me out back and told me he had thought about it and knew I didn't like spiders so he would cut we some slack this one time, but if I every pulled a stunt like that again he would put some old school on me. I think I was about 10 then. Many years later were laughing about it and he admitted that if his right shoulder wasn't hurting so bad from me hitting him with the hoe handle he would have beat the crap out of me for my choice of words that day. To this day I still don't like spiders.

I know that I have , if not a phobia about them, then at least a good, healthy respect and I keep my distance from them. :):

fair winds

Micheal

n/t

and out in the brush around some of the creeks. Folks not familar with them do not realize just how big they can get...the web too! While I have never been bit by one, I hear tell that it would be a painful, nasty bite. When my folks lived down at Portland, Texas, they would have webs on their windows, along with those spiders too! Thanks for posting this story, I enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

barticularly care for them, I'll flick them away in a minute, and go on my way. When I rode 4-wheelers, I always had a stick on the front of it that stuck about 3 feet up just to stay out of the webs, but they still don't bother me. But put a mouse in my room, and I'll go crazy. Funny how we all have our little things that "bug" us! Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it! :0

If I was scared of spiders there is no way I would have been the one on the front bumper with a dang hoe:yikes: That was funny as heck. I am no great lover of spiders either and I can relate with that!

That was a funny one though. Thanks for sharing it with us:thumbup:

yep i'm so tough and ....Arachnophobic! I detest them, got bit by a brown Recluse a few years back and it took 6 months to heal!
They sure are fun to kill:devil:

Liking them. I can tolorate them but prefer then not on me. From woods riding all these years on dirt bikes and quads and horses I've gotten used to them, BUT I have a nasty reaction tothem if I get bit. About 3 times now I have and almost instantly I will get beat red, then start scratching like crazy and it will cover my entire body. The last time I got bit was in South Carolina at Heidi's when went went Geocaching. Between the snakes and the spiders you did not know which one t watch out for first. Well, we did ok on the first cache, but the second one, I saw the webs and new this was not good if I got bit. A few minutes later, I got. Up came the red flush and then the scratching.... She what do and took me to the emergency room about 20 minutes away and by the time we got there, solid red and your not sure where to scratch first. Must be a common reaction as they gave me Benadrylll right away and shortly afterwards it subsided. And hour or 2 and I was good as new. I now carry it with me when Geocaching or in the woods in summer. Not sure if my body changed alot over the years to their bite as it sure seems worst now. Ticks do a number on me also....

From the post, I see none of us care for them. My wife has a few friends that horse ride with her that are alergic to bee stings and carry the shots with them to stab themselves in the leg if they get stung.... I have and uncle, that I guess had to deal with spiders in the war and to this day if he see's one he is gone in a flash. He is not afraid of much but a spider will get him on the move quickly.

Geo

I guess I was thinking about them the past, I was hog hunting with a guy in the hill country a few years back when his dog's hooked up with a big old boar hog, this hog when we got there had split open his favorite dog and blood was flying. We loaded the dog up and took off with a rag wrapped around the dogs neck we drove about 5 miles through this ranch and Ray was getting worried about the dog so he stopped at this barn an went in with a stick and got a bunch of spider webs came back and took them and stuffed them in the cut and the dog quite bleeding so bad, we made it the rest of the way to his house which was about 10 more miles. He staple gun for stitching dogs up there. It was the only positive thing I'd seen come out of any part of a spider. Well thanks Guy's and Have A Great new Years

Hey Gang,

Great story!! Spiders, snakes, mice (rats?) etc. are in the top ten most feared things for most people. It may be a genetic thing as even very young wild things are fearful of snakes.

They were a part of living in the dirt poor, back roads part of Texas where I grew up and I learned early to have a healthy respect for them all, but never developed a fear of them for which I am eternally grateful.

There seems to be a law of attraction that causes people that are allergic or fearful of these creatures to be bitten or to come into contact with them more frequently than the rest of us.

My 2 cents worth.

Happy New Year Friends and thanks for bringing me many laughs and pleasurably stories since taking me into your family,

Cupajo

Oddly, The big ones don't scare me much as they are all pretty much harmless around these parts.....the little ones are the ones we have to watch out for! Both Black Widows and Brown Recluses are very common around here. Thanks for a funny story!