Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I dislike it when

lilmax25

People see me metal detecting say at a park and people are watching me. It makes me feel kind of akward. How about you do you like it when people are watching you? I don't mean like kids because there the nicer then the parents! What are your stories of rudeness? Or maybe people don't watch you? Whats your opinoin and your story?

Hi Lilmax , I dont think I pay that much attention, I have been startled by
a few people that have walked up on me while detecting, but they were
only inquisitive . In all the years Ive been detecting I have never ran into one
rude person or been refused permission to hunt a site I have inquired about.
So, I guess this doesnt help ya , huh :wave:

Terri

I know what you mean lilmax. I sometimes feel like everyone is watching me while i'm detecting but i'm slowly learning to tune them out (after several years) by concentrating on what the detector is telling me and not worrying about everyone else. If you think about it, most of them are most likely, either curious or wishing that they were doing the detecting. :biggrin:
Just because some people have nothing better to do than stare at us, is no reason to not have a good time doing what we like to do. You will discover that when you can tune them out, your finds will increase too :detecting:

Just take a raisin, and put it in your nose with it hanging out, Then give them the eye
They will feel sorry for you, and leave you alone:yikes:
Or tell them you are looking for snakes:poke::look::shrug:
Then tell yourself,, Screw them anyway, the are just jealous:twodetecting:

Tim

P.S. An orange Vest will help too:inlove:

Who care what others think, if your lucky you could be leaving with an old coin or gold or silver in your pocket!!!

I will be honest. I tyr real hard to hunt where the people are few and faw between. If I am going to hunt a public place I go very early in the day. I dunno just really like hunting where its quiet, Beale.

hi lilmax. in the early days i went to parks and other similar places, and i wasn't finding much in the way of old or valuable stuff. i occasionally would pull out a nice ring or necklace, and the ever present clad. once in a while, silver was encountered. it didn't take me long to realize the old men of the town had the parks hemmed up, and took turns waiting for it to "fill up", sometimes even getting loud with one another and arguing over "choice sites".

on more than one occasion, the mothers would grab their kid's arms and pull them away from me. i hadn't done anything to them to warrant that kind of response. it was like the dead sea parting! i was given a wide berth, with lots of little kids asking a hundred annoying questions, putting their hands in the hole, taking my finds, and trying to grab my machine! to my credit, i was patient with them. oh no, i thought, this isn't for me.

i went home after a particularly bad day of rude onlookers and obnoxious kids and decided right then to start seeking out the older and mostly forgotten places. i took a good look at myself and asked myself what was it that i wanted out of this great hobby? i know many of us are content to hunt for clad and newer jewelry, and i respect that. i want the old, deep stuff, so i always make it a point to seek out such places.

stories of rudeness? i got a lot of them. a family having a picnic started throwing pennies in my path and told me i could keep what i found. or the old man who snatched the silver ring out of my hand i had found for him, having lost it gardening 8 years earlier. not even a thanks, and that's why i don't actively seek out the owners of lost objects. it's mine now, sucker! or the pack of little kids who flipped over the plugs and exposed every hole i had dug despite being told not to. almost got kicked out of the park for that.

so, lilmax, for the most part i actively seek out my own spots to go to and hunt alone. that way, i know it'll be done right, and increases my chances of older and better finds. i occasionally hunt with olddigger, he's a great partner. i don't like being watched and gawked at either. so, i tend to go where people aren't... and the rest just might be history! thanks for reading, and hh,

After 35 year's I've leared to pretty well tune out the onlookers, but in all honestly, I have never completely gotten over being a little uncomfortable with people looking on. When that is the situation, I'll usually work my way off to some other area where I can be more by myself. Since retiring, I now do my hunting in the early mornings and I only have to contend with people that let their dogs run loose. Turning around and being eyeball to eyeball with a big dog, though, can be a little unnerving. HH everyone, jim tn

Well Lilmax I hunt 90% after dark, I have hunted in the day time but I prefer darkness, you would think that I would have purchased a machine with a back light.

Lilmax, it is a hobby. It is not your job. So act as if it is your hobby. If something upsets you move on, maybe even a different part of the park or a new park. I know you have your rights, but it is a hobby. It is supposed to be stress free. Or maybe close to that as you can get. Relax, breathe.
One thing never let kids help you dig. It just isn't a good idea and you will find out why. If little kids want to know what you are doing tell them you are looking for gold, have you seen any pirates? Pirates always have gold with them. Keep an eye pealed for them would you. Then the kids kind of go off and play but parents are more relaxed also because of the interchange was playful. If kids are in one area I go to an area where no kids are playing and detect. I go through the park like that, sometimes there are just too many kids there so I go some place else. It is a hobby to relax me and to have enjoyment. Not to fight with people over my right to do or not do. It is a hobby....Z

Getting eye-balled by picnickers made me feel kinda'... I don't know... "low-down", like I was caught committing a crime!

Truth is, we all need to realize that 'tectoring is a legitimate recreational pursuit, same as fishing or throwing a Frisbee. They don't bother me no more.. the 'eye-ballers'.

We've got just as much right to be there as anyone else, besides, we're cleaning up the parks while the "eye-ballers" are flinging 'tabs, foil and heroin-needles on the ground...

I just try to dig as carefully as possible and judiciously back-fill and stomp all of my holes flat VERY deliberately when folks is watching. Good to keep some old nails and maybe a rusty razor blade in the junk pouch to show people. A defused hand grenade wouldn't hurt neither... "I'm just removing all of this dangerous junk from the park!" Above all, endeavor to be polite and smile when curious people, and yes, even kids... come up and ask questions.

If all of the above fails to ease a sense of self-consciousness, just pretend that you are invisible!

Skillet

I have only hade positive experiences.

I think a guy wanted to hastle me one time.

My demenor will disarm even seasoned cops.

I love every body, even if they are not as lucky as me.

I go along with the setting. I am protected. I am blessed.

I have walked through the worst of the "HOOD", armed with

only a clip board.

I survived competent people trying to kill me.

People in a park are my pack. Never had a bad experience

metal detecting.

Happy Hunting,

Wanted to know if I was hungry ?? I didn't hunt another park for a very long time....

I sure like that Bomb shirt posted above.......................If I had one of those..I might just run once in a while to see if people were paying attention..LOL

I once went picnicking and a club hunt was going on. Those guys were every where. Showed no respect for any other park user.

When their hunt was over they started general detecting in the area. They actually moved peoples blankets so they could detect the ground.
Showed no respect for any other park users space, and when one found something they screamed out to a hunting buddy....Hey look what I found as loud as they could..So Yes Sir, I do care what people think.... I know what I thought of those clowns that day..It wasn't very good.... Finally a park Ranger asked them to leave. I hope no one ever thinks of me..what I thought of those yahoos that day...

I did have an encounter with a really strange character in 2003 that still sorta puzzles me. I was hunting a field that was used for makeshift football and baseball games from the late 1930's until around 1960. I had been there maybe 10 minutes when a guy walked right in front of me and stopped so I couldn't swing. I was off the road a couple of hundred yards, thought I was alone and never saw or heard him coming so it kinda surprised me. First thing he said was, "What kind of detector is that?" I told him a Shadow X5 and attempted to answer a couple of questions he asked about it but he didn't stop talking at the end of the questions long enough for me to answer. He said he had been detecting for 38 years and talked nonstop for 25-30 minutes about his detecting with a little religion and gobs of pure BS thrown in. He said he had found several thousand dollars in coins, thousands of pieces of gold jewelry including a ring with 57 diamonds on it, tons of Civil War relics, several caches and knew where a lot more were but didn't go get them because he didn't have time. I stopped trying to talk to him and just listened as long as I could take it. When I started walking to my truck, he followed along still talking a mile a minute. As I neared my truck I interrupted him, had to get loud to do it, told him I had to go and asked his name and where he was from as I had never seen him before. He said his name was Hastings, he was 63, a contractor from Hodges, Alabama, a small town about 50 miles from here, and he had just come down here to walk. Walk??? When I drove away he was walking away from the road toward some trees on the other side of the field.

I've run into a lot of people while detecting, including some rather odd ones, but that guy takes the prize. He looked really serious the whole time, never smiled or changed his expression at all except when he said God had spoken to him one day while he was detecting and told him to be a treasure hunter of people for the church instead of a treasure hunter of money. When I got home I checked the phone directory for Hodges, but there were no Hastings listed. There was a listing for a Hastings General Contractor near Cullman, but that's over 80 miles from Hodges. When I was leaving I passed an older car with an Alabama tag pulled off the road that was probably his, so he probably was from Alabama.

What was even more strange about it was that I told the parents of the kids at my grandsons birthday party that night about the guy and one lady said she passed the field about 5 that afternoon and saw a man wandering around there. I described the guy, the clothes he had on and his car and she said that was the same guy she saw. It was around 8 in the morning when I was there so he evidently stayed all day, or left and went back. Never saw him again but I still wonder what he was doing there.

What people????? I have to zone them out or I'll never find anything!!!!! Thats how I got the name for my detecting club!!!! I would always hear: Hey what are you doing??? and my answer would always be: DUH tecting cause I would always think to myself what do they think I'm doing! or what are you looking for???? DUH COINS! Its like when you were young and you played baseball or something on that level, you had to learn how to tune the crowd out! Just get into looking at the ground and your mind into your headphones and rock-n-roll Baby!!!!!! HH!!!! Edward aka QUICKSILVER(appletree)