Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I did some cleaning testing...........

I got one of those small rock tumblers to clean coins and have tried some different ways using information from this forum. Here is what I did with a batch of good pennies that were dirty and some stains that needed cleaned enough to roll for the bank, spend or use at a "green coin machine" at the store. From what I found out, the dirtier or worse they are you just need to do them a bit longer....

The recipe for this batch was as follows..

The pennies
Just enough aquarium rock (size just bigger than of a piece of rice)
Cup of Simple Green
Water to cover the rock

For these pennies I let the tumbler run 3 hours 10 minutes.

They came out really good.

... as it is now, I just knock the crud off them and roll em up.

If you like, try my tumbling method. It takes me an hour to do my coins. Put coins in tumbler, fill to about 1/2 over coins with water, add a small squirt of your wifes dish soap and a small amount of sand. Done in an hour or less. Keep pennies seperate from silvr (clad).

I have read about using sand also. I can see where that might work a bit faster. Thing about using the small aquarium gravel is you can reuse it. The sand has to be thrown out.

The brillo pad thing will probably work best on really nasty coins. These were just dirty and maybe a bit stained. And all were found under ground or deep in the grass. Not just laying on the sidewalk.:heh:

I may have to get one just for the cool factor.

...From ebay for 22$ THe shippng was stoopid and I coulda ended up saving $5 fromHarbor, but what the hell. Im looking ofrwaurd to trying this thing out on my mountains of grubby coins. (Well, maybe not mountains; more like piles. Well, not really piles, either; more like...well. okay, a few handfuls).

I got the 3 pounder, too. SinceI dont live in Canada, I didnt see the need for one of the mega size ones.

Yeah I've mentioned Harbor Freight several times as a source for inexpensive tumblers. Now you can clean those puppies up. Boy I've got a mountain of them to tumble.

Bill