Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I DECIDED TO QUIT SCHOOL MY SENIOR YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL!

not because an education isn't important but i think the system by which people are educated is screwed.i would have never have graduated in my hometown and my saving grace was working after school and having my own money and car.i graduated in a suburban school that was growing so fast that nobody really grew up there,no cliques,and no pecking order.

people learn at differently levels and at different times than others even though they are the same age.i think three days a week at school is long enough and then working at home.other than trades eliminate the extra cirricular stuff.aometimes the school enviroment can be as bad as the home.

i wished i would have quit,and then continued after i was a little older at a community college.my high school diploma was never required at anyplace of employed,basic math skills was all.i took several courses at county community college for my own benefit when i was in my 20's.

i think the whole education concept in the united states should be changed.if i was a parent i would home school.

During my years in school I wasn

most that i knew were semi poor or real poor. Particularly just after WW11. My father was also an alcoholic, not mean but for sure not around much and mother was a hard working "Saint".
I hated school and did not do anywhere near my potential due mostly to ignorant and uncaring teachers. I like many others survived and had a pretty good life as it seems you did as well Cuppa. Odd what will shape us and how that will play out.

My sixteenth year was full of fun and adventure partly because I had quit school and partly because it was a year when my Dad decided to use the free labor available in me and Mom to try out some of his money making schemes.

The same drinking buddy that had pretty much bankrupted Dad

PS On a visit to the old shack by then a hay barn) years later, I found the rusted hulk of the old plucker in the weeds and experienced a rush of memories!

Cupajo

We would haul home buckets of oysters, shuck them [and find the very odd pearl], and freezer them when we were not eating them straighaway.

To this day, I cannot stand the sight, smell, touch, and taste of an oyster. :):

fair winds

Mikie

The above posts were entered as seperate items and I'm curious about how they got combined. Is that policy?

Cupajo

were a "slacker". Seems as though you stayed busy and made the best out of what you had. I think we all did that! I guess I was lucky to have a daddy that thought I was a princess! He was definitely the first "man in my life that I loved"! Still miss him so! :(

Still any poor people and dying committees. The ways so many of us grew up is gone now. The rich control the water, in a few years it will be fished out because of to any guides with no control on the number of them. The town I grew up in used to be the shrimp capital of the world, and now it might have 15 boats in it's harbor, when only 15 years ago there was 200 to 300 boats in it. The way I remember growing up is dead and gone and the town will be soon. Good Story and a lot of memories with it.

My early years were rather traumatic and I have learned in recent years that I have that learning disability thing. My grandson has it and they finally got him on meds, my daughter resisted it but they finally did and now he has been straight A's since, he plays the piano and Horn and reads at Junior college level, he is 12. It is sorta sad but Ben now refers his early days as, "Back when I was a bad kid"

They had not even heard of that stuff when I was a kid and I just, along with everyone else, just figured I was a dummy. It was rough on my mother and since my dad died when I was 12 they blamed it on that. I was just a rotten kid in every ones view and that included my own.

My journey since then has been a long and twisted one and many times I think if what might have been if I had done this differently or that differently, who would I have been now days. Prison would have been a great possibility for sure.

What would my life have been like if there had been meds available for me back then? Would I have been that Veterinary I wanted to be since the age of 5? Possibly but who knows.

I did pretty good considering but many times through my later schooling odd things would happen. Things like studying my arse off and having a hard time getting it into my head and being disgusted at test time because I just did not understand the subject at all. Taking the fruggin test and aceing the thing and usually being the first finished. I just didn't understand that crap. There were times that I would ace a dang test and walk out wondering if I had cheated and if I did, why didn't I know it? It was frustrating for me.

I had to take Trig as part of my apprenticeship. What the hell. I only finished the 9Th grade for crying out loud. In face I spent two years in the 7Th, two years in the 8Th, two years in the 9Th and started the 10Th, again passing because of my age and said to hell with it and went into the Marines. at 17.

Well I had to take trig and back then we had to use the slide rule. I hated the slide rule because I had a hell of a problem getting it in my head where to put the decimal. Make that mistake and you missed the problem. Well I ended up doing it all long hand. No calculator back then and I could not use the dang slide rule! Try doing Trig long hand. Some simple part of the problem might take two pages and by the time I had the final answer, which was only part of the problem, I would have some times forgotten what the hell I wanted it for. I would sometimes toss it! AND start over. It was very frustrating for me for sure. I just knew I was a dummy.

I remember taking a final Physics test. I had taken Alg and done good but it was one of those things where I didn't have a clue how the hell I aced the class because I just did not understand Algebra at all. Just would not compute in my squirley head. But I aced the thing.

When I took the Physics test I turned in the paper and sat back down. The teacher was grading them as we turned them in to save time. He asked me how I got an answer to one of the tougher questions. I asked if it were right and he said it was but he wanted to know how I did it. I told him.

He just looked at me. I had to figure out my own way of solving the problem as I did not trust myself with the dang formula! I explained to him the way I figured it out and just looked at the paper again and back to me. I will never forget, he said, "Jesus H ***** ! I could not have done it that way! Well it was the only way it made any sense in my squirrely head.

I figure I have been pretty lucky with my life and my squirrely head and am sure happy my grandson does not have to go through life thinking he was a dang dummy.

As a child I was caught up in the dynamic of getting started in a new school and then pulling up stakes to follow Dad's work, plus a survival mind set from the constant terror of living with a loose cannon of an alcoholic father. I have no idea how many moves there were. It made it all, but impossible for me to get into a "learning mode" that would enable me to understand basic math in more than the most rudimentary way. Until this day I can not figure out most math problems without a calculator.

We humans are able to compensate somehow though and I made up for my math short-comings, by developing a pretty good feel for mechanical things. That talent enabled me to decipher many math problems using mechanically based reasoning. Back in the early '80s I was a foreman at Pratt and Whitney Aircraft here in Connecticut and had to take a class in mathematics that included Trig. and Plane Geometry. I clearly understood the principles involved and using a calculator, was able to solve every problem. If I had been depending on basic math to make the necessary calculations, I would have failed miserably. As It turned out, I finished the class with the second best grade, beaten by an engineering student.

These challenges and how we learn to overcome them are what make us who we are and I am grateful for how things have turned out for me.

Cupajo

written and timed tests. She spasms out really bad. But let the same teacher give the test orally and she aces it every time. She is a first grade teacher and all of the kids and parents alike love her to death. She has never had to take any medication because they cannot diagnos her. She does not have dyslexia, she reads like a dream, just not a test taker. Still, if teachers will work with children which is their job, they usually can get control of it pretty quick. there is no dumb or stupid kid...............just grown ups who have labeled them such, and it does hoffific damage to their self esteem and egos!

n/t