Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I broke my Omega

imi_wakaranai

Last week I went to do a little beach hunting. I had went to a park two days prior, and my machine worked fine. After about 5 minutes at the beach I realized that the detector wasn't picking up any signals with the disc set at 30. In all metal mode, it worked fine. I put it back in disc, threw some coins onto the sand, and swiped my coil over them. Nothing happened. Frustrated I returned home and swiped out the coils and did more tests. Yep, it was broken. I sent it in to Teknetics and am just waiting to hear the damage. What stinks is that I bought it used. It was in like-new shape, 3 coils, for a little over $400. I couldn't resist the deal. I've had several other MDs through the years, and I never had to send one in for repair, so I thought I would be okay buying used. And yes, I knew at the time if I bought new, I would have the warranty to fall back on if it needed repair. Any idea of what kind of bill I may have to pay for repair? I've learned my lesson and for now on I am buying new from an authorized dealer. The Omega is the best detector I've ever owned; however, like all electronic gear, stuff happens when you least expect it. The moral of the story..........buy new from an authorized dealer.

Yes, it was salt water, but I have hunted the beaches with this detector many times. It is defunct for sure.

I'll say it again. Salt water is in the atmosphere up to a mile inland from a salt water beach. Incredibly corrosive to electronics. Wrap the control head in a thick clear plastic baggie and put a small silica gel pack in the baggie for safe measure. Tape the baggie airtight with electrical tape. If you must do a saltwater enviroment then protection is mandatory.

Of course you cost will depend on several variables, but the last time I sent in for repair it was $75. I thought that was fair and they got it back to me in a total of 8 days from my send to my receive. Felix was easy to talk to about it and I also talked to Daniel when I called and Felix was out. I can't fault them in any way. I had a used detector and was not given any guilt trip about not being the original purchaser.
PastTom

Like you said. Any type of electronics can go bad at any time. Hopefully it is an easy and inexpensive fix.