Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am tempted to brave this heat and go for a ride to a few old towns east of here............

Kelley (Texas)

These are a couple of old towns with some interesting history...one of the towns appears to have been established around 1845. Many years ago, I bought a horse from a man that lived in one of these towns, but he delivered the horse and I did not visit the town. The temperature will probably hit pretty near 100 degrees today, but I will just have to make sure that I take a coke with me. Would any of you folks be interested in seeing pictures and a story about these old towns? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

This was almost too much to do in this heat down here today, must of hit 100 degrees...it is 96 degrees at the moment. I only made it to one of the three towns that I planned to visit today, but I did hit the jack pot. This town is a semi ghost town. I must confess that the heat got to be too much and I cut the picture taking short, but I am happy with the ones that I did take. Later tonight, I will proof the pictures and post a story. Kelley (Texas) :)

I suspect that we would end up getting into some mischief before the dust settled. You would probably be the ring leader because I am just a quiet type of cowboy, seldom getting into trouble on my own...trust me! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :rofl:

Royal, You need a sign on the back that says . OLD COOT, OLD SCOOT.
Don't you think that would look nice ?

n/t

Love to read all about your ghost towns Fred... Almost as good as diving stories :D: Seriously, I cannot get enough of that Texas history.

Fair winds

Mikie

You grew up in it, so if its hard for you, think about how bad us snowbirds would do with it. The few times it makes 90's here a year, I don't find it to comfortable cruising on the highway. If I take the right back roads with lots of tree cover its not bad, but just out in the sun, I don't enjoy it. Fact in mid summer here I'm more apt to go out from about 6:00 PM on. I take a lot of bottled water with me in the saddle bags or make frequent stops where they have it. I just came in from a short ride over to my buddies house. Was able to ride in a T-shirt but on the way back, just about dusk, I could of put on my jacket and been more comfortable. Not humid at all here right now. Another month and that will change. I like riding in the evening when its humid. No jacket needed.

I think your ding very well doing 250 miles in a day. Couple that with the sun on ya, the wind ripping at you, being more alert etc. 250 is decent. In a car I like to do 400 to 450. I can still stay fresh each day. over that and I'm a sombie.... Bike, right now 200 I'm pushing myself beyond my comfort level... I could do it one day, but day after day would wear me down pretty fast. Dirt bikes its lots of riding but its all short runs, plus your up on your feet on dirt bikes, and you can sit it you want. My a$$ goes to sleep on the road bike, at least this one as it has the floor boards and they are forward instead of straight down like a dirt bike. So you can't stand up to get circulation in your butt again.

Bottom line, is your out there enjoying life.

Geo

I have worked cattle or repaired the fence line many a day in 100 plus weather and it has never really bothered me...even riding the bike last year in the heat did not bother me like it has the last few days. In fairness, our summer is about a month early this year and that might be the problem.

The ride today was only approximately 160 miles...cut it short because the heat was starting to make me a little sick. I noticed that I was not sweating as much as I had been earlier, so I pulled into a gas station and drank a large bottle of some type of sports drink. After that, I called it for the day and came back home.

Say, I just proofed the pictures I took today. When you see some of these pictures, you will want to take a metal detector there as soon as possible. I am fixin to try to write the story and will either post it later tonight or in the morning. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I've noticed also that things I used to be able to do and never gave a thought to, in the last few years, don't seem to go as smoothly as they used to. I like the heat, but once the humidity kicks in here, I'm useless. Never used to bother me. At my daughters last year I was like a beached whale in the heat and humidity. I became a night detectorist on Isle of Palms. Never got moon burn.....

More pictures....horrah, horrah........

George-CT

You folks have some beautiful old homes where you live...so neat and well maintained looking. Same for the area where Ron lives, but I noticed that many of his coast line homes do not have many trees. Ron has posted many pictures of old wood boats that has fascinated me...shame they are going by the way side, being replaced with fiberglass boats. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: I posted the story and pictures late last night...story about Fentress, Texas.