Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am in the market for my first pinpointer/probe. Pistol Probe??

Icehouse

Hello all. I consider myself very "green" to metal detecting at 33 years old and I have purchased a X70 within the last year as my first metal detector. As a avid reader of the forums and and learning day by day with my X70, I have finally conceded on the fact that a pin-pointer/probe is a staple for a detectorist. My detecting style/location leads me primarily to hunt in soil.

I came across a probe called the pistol probe and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and if it is something I should look into and use? I have searched around on the WWW but I do not find any other info or reviews about it other than the post which has been posted here in this section of the forum. I was wondering about durability and if this probe is meant to be used as a push in the dirt kinda unit? Waterproof would be nice but from the look of the pictures I have seen the pistol probe is not waterproof.

Anyways, If anyone has anything positive or negative about this probe I would surely love to hear from you. If there is another probe which may be better suited I would likewise like to hear also.

Sorry for all my questions and most importantly Thank-you for any help.

Don't know about that one but there is some junk out there. VibraProbe is good, the new Garrett sounds like a best buy. The X70 deserves quality accessories . You will find the small coil a big help for sorting out targets.:smoke:

Sorry, I accidentally replied with no text in the box

I just wanted to point out a thread about the pistol probe. There is a picture in this thread. I hope the picture will allow for better understanding of the probe I am mentioning. Thanks

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,812372

it's just being released in October 2008.

They have had their super Uni-Probe, and Pocket Uni-Probe out for a few years. I have them on my web site at: http://www.surfscanner.com

It has its down sides but has worked fine for me. I also have the bullseye 2 by whites. It seems to work fine. honestfully, i cant tell the difference between them as far as one working better then the other. although many would consider the harbor frieght one junk its what i use the most.

Using pinpointers for several years. Have several. Bought the new Garrett pinpointer yesterday. A real eye opener....Jack

Thanks for the replies. I now understand as to why I could not find any real "user information" on the pistol probe as it has not been released.

Also, I am going to look into what that new Garret is about as mentioned.

Thank-you all for your help :)

I now know this unit it is not released yet but I have another question for anyone who is knowledgeable enough about the pistol probe to answer it.

Does the pistol probe detect to it's mentioned depth of 6 inches only at it's tip on a coin or will it detect along the side of the barrel as well,, and if it does barrel length detection what is the distance?

Thank-you for any helpful information concerning this as it mean a lot

I have just acquired a PistolProbe and am currently working on a review of it for my club newsletter. I have not yet had a chance to field test it but I have played with. They are now on the market and available through DetectorPro. I was told by a developer that air testing is not accurate but that has been my only opportunity to play with it till the weekend. To answer your question in air testing it does pick up a target on the side of the barrel but this is not a problem. Since it is PI tech you need to keep it in motion as you use it. The signal is only solid and tight directly over the target. By adjusting the threshold you can adjust the depth of the detector. I have experienced detection at around 6-7 inches and been able to tune it down to about 2 inches from target. I like it so far and can't wait to get it in the field.