Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am conflicted, which is better 5.3 or 4x6 for most depth heighest trash

Hi Michael, sorry, I can't help you out on a comparison but I do have a "shooter 4x6 & use it most of the time for the ease of seperating targets...it's hard to believe that people leave as much tin foil & pull-tabs as they do...I love the little 4x6...Tom

I don't have the 5.3 but from what I have read on several forums, it seems that in low to medium mineralization the 5.3 gets better depth. I hunt in -94 ground so the DD coils work better for me.

i'm still confused. you guys have me going in circles about these coils. i was thinking about an extra coil like michael. i looked on kellyco's web site and could not find a 4.5x7 excelerator coil listed. also is the dd coil your talking about round or elliptical? i was leaning toward the 6x10 for my mxt so i could also get out in gold country here in az and also use it for parks/schools and older home sites. so would that 6x10 be better or would it be better to go with a round excelerator coil about the same size?? thanks and hh

It is easy to become confused when trying to select a coil(s) for a particular make/model detector and for assorted applications.

The 5.3 BullsEye, which is a 6

Monte, doesn't Whites listen to their customers? It seem none of you guys who really know their stuff even take the 9.5 out of the house when venturing out. Small coils are the ticket, whichever one you chose. The only drawback is the depth indicator is thrown out of whack. With a little practice, you can learn to gauge the depth by audio response anyway.

I remember when I started, all I had was the 9.5, and I was ready to give it up and go buy a fishing pole.. On your recommendation, I got the 5.3, and it really opened things up. From there I got the 6x9 elliptical so I could crank the gain up to the max.

Funny thing is, I used the 5.3 at slightly lower gain for an equal number of months as the 6x9 at full blast. The 5.3 found at least 20% more coin!

Scottowl, or anyone who knows, about how far off are the depth readings with the 5.3 on a mxt. I have one on the way. Dose it make a big difference Thanks Dean

some models can be more 'off' than others. With the XL Pro, for example, the coin depth reading is very closely associated (controlled) by the Signal Balance setting. I don't find that to be the case with the XLT or MXT/M6 models. Honestly, I think I have had as-accurate or more-accurate coin depth readings with the 5.3 Eclipse or 5.3 BullsEye coils than I did with the 950-sized coils on any of those models.

Oh, I will admit that if I am traveling or going to the beach or planning on a longer day in a large sports field I might take along a 950 mounted on a spare lower rod, but I, too, have found many times more coins and good targets with the smaller coils than with the stock 950's.

Monte

You can call Kellyco and ask JW, or E-mail me and I will E-mail you the link.

MonteVB@comcast.net

Monte

I found the 5.3 to read 1" to 2" deeper than actual. It is really no big deal, because it pin-points so well. Also, as you get familiar with it, you'll be predicting the depth by sound alone, and not pay too much attention to the depth gauge.

thanks a lot guys for the input on the coils. i just have one more question i forgot to ask. i do have a 4x6 eclipse coil that came with my mxt so, is it the same as the 4.5x7 excelerator coil or is it worth the bucks to get the 4.5x7? any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks,
hh

the depth and coverage to be limited.

Like I said, I prefer the White's 6

White's 4x6 'Shooter coil is actually narrower than 4". The 4

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/whites/whites-eseries-MXT.htm

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/whites/whites-eseries-MXT.htm