Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting with SE in clay soil

axxeman

I went out hunting yesterday with my SE along the bank of a river. The soil was a was made up of clay and a mixture of fresh and salt water. I didn't have much luck. If anyone else has had luck in this type of soil make up and had luck please post the settings you used on your machine. I have used my SE and have made deep finds in sand, but I have had little success in clay type of soil. My buddies smoked me with their Fishers. Help!

OK, with a little experimenting and fine tuning, I finally got it right. I am now ready to smoke those Fishers!

Fishers generally do not have discrimination beyond 6 inches.....Clay is highly mineralized. Your machine sees it as something to discriminate out. Try all metal or no iron mask and see what that does for you.

Thanks for the response. I tried that while I was over there. My SE went crazy. I did test out my machine and these were the best settings that worked best for me, including hitting a small gold coin (some say that it is almost impossible to detect, not true). I hope this can be helpful to others that may encounter this type of problem. Minelab SE gotta love it!

Select: Coin, Fe Coin, Jewelry, and Pull Tabs (Old nickels hit as pull tabs, did not detect nickels without this setting).
Response: Smooth
Gain: 7
Tone: TH Tone: 7/ Variability: 9/ Limits: 9
Sounds: Conduct or Ferrous. I prefer to use Conduct. Const was the setting that I had been using and this was the problem. This setting did not detect the targets for some reason. Once I switched to Conduct there I was able to hit every target, including gold.
Noise: 6
Recovery: Deep