Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

hunting silver. Which machine/coil?

teviotlad

i have 305. stock 7khz coil. the 305 only has 2 tid segments/tones for the high range, so cannot split copper and silver coins. i was thinkin of 705 with 3khz coil, would this give better differentiation between silver and copper coins to reduce diggin in parks?

You're still going to dig the copper pennies as they can and will come in just like a dime no matter which machine you use.

The only machine that I have ever used that can do that with a fair degree of accuracy is the Whites M6. With the M6 if its a TID between 58 and 65 it's usually a Zinc, a TID of 76 is usually a Wheat Cent and between 77 and 79 a copper memorial. Dimes usually fall in the TID of 79 to 80, but if it's a sold 80 its almost always a clad dime. Silver Dimes are usually 82 TID as well as Silver Rings, clad quarters are usually 86 TID and silver quarters are almost always 87 TID. Clad half's have been at 88 and Silver Franklin's (only type that I've found) came in at 89. I'm not saying this is always the case, but more often than not it is. Am I recommending the M6 over the Xterra, no as I have both an M6 and a Xterra 70 and like them both. For the amount of other good targets you will loose by ignoring all clad could be significant. As, large 10 K Gold Class Rings come in in the Zinc to Copper Penny Range, I have found 2 real nice Ladies Pulsar Watches at a TID of 79 at different times. Also, the clad comes in handy when its time to buy new batteries.

The X-terra 705 is very effective at distinguishing between pennies and dimes. It is an excellent detector. If you don't want to dig pennies but want to dig the dimes, it will do that with extreme accuracy. getting a Low frequency coil will increase your silver finds. all the coils in the x-terra line have good strengths according to the the application used.

That's interesting as on my 705 as well as when I had the Etrac, "copper" pennies would come in with the exact reading as a dime. Zinc and IH pennies do read different.

I regularly get dimes at 38 and copper pennies at 40 on the 705 and that is with the HF coils.

Jeff