Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting part 3.........

Wayne in BC

I walked on, more wary now and came to an area of "blowouts", large holes in the sand some 20 ft deep and often 100 ft around and caused by strong winds. These blowouts often had greener grass in the bottom due to being closer to water and a bit of shade effect.
The sun had slipped to the horizon now as i slunk along becoming discouraged. Then a movement ahead and a spike buck walked calmly out in front of me some 100 ft away and promptly disappeared into a blowout....perfect!

Half crawling i moved to the coarse grass on the edge of the hole and peaked over, then my heart thumped! There were 5 young Mule Deer bucks calmly feeding only a few yards below me! They were totally unaware that i was there and a process of strange luck began to unwind, something that is still utterly clear in my mind today 48 years after the incident.

I had not intended to whack a whole darn herd of Deer, certainly not with a singleshot .22 so when he raised his head from feeding i aimed carefully behind the ear of the nearest buck who was facing away and probably no more than 25 ft from me.
Crack! I remember how it seemed so loud at the time but did not connect the fact that i was shooting into a natural barrel the shape of which made it act like a big loudspeaker! The buck dropped kicking and pandemonium broke out with Deer going in all directions but none exiting the hollow, they would run part way up the side, stop and run down and over to the other side, then repeat the process. As i lay there stunned by the odd happenings one Deer ran up towards me, stopping only a couple feet below me, did a double take and went back down, only to bound around in circles then stop.....so i shot him too.

The second Deer went down kicking, shot between the eyes from 40 ft away and the other three continued running in circles. I missed the third shot, just a tad high and i saw the bullet kick sand over his head across the hollow. He stood there staring my way and i reloaded, shot number two was true and he also went down kicking but tried to rise so i put one more into his upper neck as quick as i could reload, end of problem. My blood was up and i do not believe i was even consciously thinking as i reloaded yet again from the diminishing half dozen rounds i had placed in my mouth as i moved up to the hollow blowout.

I had to wait about 30 seconds for a good shot as the last two Deer were still bounding around and when one finally stopped to stare at one of his fallen comrades who was still kicking feebly, i put a round behind his ear also and it was over as the last Deer panicked and ran up the bank and away into the gathering dusk. I leaped up and trotted down the slope reloading as i went but no more shots were required and now i had a really big job and a small hunting knife so i sat down as i had begun to shake so much that could hardly stand up!

After the fact now i was wondering what had just happened and it came to me that the Deer had not been able to tell where the sound was coming from, given the echo in the hollow, they also were reluctant to run into possible danger that they could not see because they were below ground level. Thus their fatal confusion, and my good fortune.

After a few minutes of pondering the situation i realised that it was now pretty much dark in that hollow and getting darker, i could not deal with this much meat on my own so without wasting time i headed for home on the run. I arrived winded and babbling about an hour later after numerous falls in the dark even though i had tried to stick to the cow trails. Blurting out my story to mostly disbelief, i finally convinced my uncle and Dad and off we went, armed with knives, saws, and the old truck with the headlights off. An hour or so later and the booty was hanging to cool in the cellar while i was happily repeating my story over and over:biggrin:

Nobody was unhappy that i had taken four Deer as that was a very welcome supply of meat, they were still amazed though, while Dad and my uncle understood what had happened they let me bask in the glory and only grudgingly said.....not bad shooting boy. The entire family was cautioned to say nothing to anyone for fear of trouble, but Wayner the hero was happy:thumbup:
I just kinda like the idea that i may have been the only 12ish year old boy to ever do that, don't you?

And all this with a [probably Cooey] single shot. I am impressed!!! :)

Good story bud!!

calm seas

M

and it often refused to eject as they were wont to. Not that time though, thankfully, as that could have changed the whole story.
Thanks Mike, glad you all (Y'all?)had a great day:thumbup:

you had me stumped until you explained the echo.bet you really wanted to tell all your buddies,nice shooting,wasn't fish in a barrel but close:).did you ever make any more kills in a similiar fashion or check out the blowouts regular?

Good shootin indeed! Reminds me of a Thanksgiving day hunt I once had with my brother and dad many years ago......Thanks Wayne!

WTG Buddy! Ya know, I never could see any fault in providing meat for one's table. What pisses me off is finding a deer with no head and one quarter missing!:rant:

Hey......who wouldn't have ? Sorta like lil' Ralphie with his Red Rider BB gun in Christmas Story. Boy o' boy.........your ole' (young) heart had to be a pumpin' when you saw those young bucks feeding. That's an awesome story Wayne. I'm bettin' those deer roasts tasted better than good for a looooooong time !!:beers:

it was adrenalin rush time! Interestingly, over the years i came to dislike venison from eating too much of it and preferred Moose or Elk.

Man you are probably the only one for sure. Maybe Boone or Crockett. But those guys lie

That had to be exciting as heck.

I have never heard of a Blowout! What happens? Do they get started with a gopher hole or some other depression and the wind scours them out, with time. I have probably seen them out west but thought they were a buffalo wallow.

Thanks for a great and interesting story Wayne:thumbup:

hunting story Wayne! It would be hard for anyone to "one up" you on that one. Maybe those deer had vertigo!

It couldnt have happened to a better guy. What kind of racks did the other ones have. I know racks didnt mean a lot when you shooting for food, but I was just curious.

Thats what I call making those bullets count!:clap:

Would like to hear more.

Lil Brother

spikes we called them. They were a bachelor group because it was several weeks prior to the rut and Mule Deer are not near as aggressive toward each other as Whitetails. Thanks for the kind words:)

in an area of sandy soil where there are few well rooted plants or the ground has been overgrazed, you have it right about the wind scouring them out. These have not occured for many years and are leftovers from the droughts of the 1930's. The area i spoke of now has much more trees and vegetation than it did when i was there in the mid to late 50's but the "blowouts" are still there, only now grown in with brush and grass.
Thanks bud!

...we could all survive without the fish-cops and all their wisdom.

Around here they are so smart that they postponed turkey season by a week, making it come a week out of gobbling time. All of our surrounding states have spring seasons that begin from about the 15th of March. If they are so worried about depleting the population, why don't they just cut the limit by one and put the season in the middle of the natural gobbling season?

I can't really gripe. I have a story tell at the right time.

Great story, Wayne. It's the stuff childhood memories are made of!! Thanks for sharing.

aj

ignore some of those twits who think they know animal population dynamics while grooming and culling our own herds.
If you have a Turkey hunt story or such, i am all eyes!:biggrin:
Thanks guy, i enjoyed telling the story.
Wayne

i never had another chance like that. I saw tracks in the blowouts now and then. I think it was that they were young and inexperienced.