Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

hunting meteor`s? any preffered detectors?

dieseldust

i was originally thinking of using my goldmaster but then started thinking if my goldquest might not have an advantage. cannot swing two detectors so any input is apritiated.

Hi Dieseldust,

Don is generally correct, the Goldmaster will usually produce a better signal on the most common meteorite, the stony. I think the estimate is about 95% or so of the meteorites are of the stony variety. Now, I am not sure just which is best on the iron or stony iron types. My guess would be the GQ would be better.

There is one other factor that may have an effect on your choice of detectors and that is the environment in which you will be hunting. If you are hunting on the plains of Kansas, then the VLF would most likely be the best choice. If you are hunting in an area where there is an abundance of "hotrocks" such as Goldbasin AZ then the the PI may be the best choice. A lot depends upon your knowledge of the VLF and how to adjust it. Places such as Goldbasin can have large areas saturated with rocks that will cause a strong response on a VLF but little or no response on a PI. In such areas, I prefer the PI simply because most of the hotrocks simply "disappear" when using a PI. With a VLF, you usually have to adjust the ground balance to check each rock to be sure.

Reg