Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunted out with what?

gjedda63

Hello all, I keep seeing people saying they are going over so-called hunted out parks and pull out coins east and west. What do they exactly mean by that? Hunted out with high end machines like F 75 LTD, XP Deus etc? Is it a reality or a big hype that e-trac can pull out coins and goodies from parks being hammered with other machines for years and being considered empty? Examples ?
Thanks

I found more silver in the last month with my Etrac at a park I hunted with an F75, Tesoro, and an Explorer XS than I have in the last 5 years. When the Etrac gives me a high silver sound it's music to my ears and silver in my pocket.

My testimonial:

Our city park, established in 1883, sits along side the Arkansas River which has flooded on average every 30-40 years depositing from 3 to 6" of mud each flood. There are areas where the original ground is more than 24" deep so the coins are also extremely deep. Over the last 30 years I've hunted this park with many detectors both high and low end. It wasn't until I bought a White's Eagle Spectrum in 1991 that the first sign of old coins was even found even though our club had hunted it for years. For the next 6 year I pulled many deep old coins with that Eagle Spectrum and then it stopped producing. I knew the coins were still there for any detector that could go deeper. We tried the Tesoro Toltec 100 and Garrett Grand Master at the same time I was pulling coins with my Eagle Spectrum, and they found nothing. I bought a White's XLT and it really didn't find anything the Eagle didn't. I bought a White's DFX when they came out and the park started giving up the goods again. For the next 3 years life was good.

When the old coins started to dry up again I tried a few more detectors to try and get a little deeper. Hearing a lot of good stories about the Minelab Explorer SE I bought one. It did pull a few keepers but nothing more than what I could do with my DFX. About 3 years ago I bought a Minelab E-Trac after hearing the stories about it reviving old worked out sites, and from day one the keepers started flowing again. Since then I've tried everything from a Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F75 to the White's V3i and only the E-Trac has consistently produced the keepers. These other detectors in most cases could see those deep keepers, but only the E-Trac made it obvious. The others gave little more than a broken sound and or erratic VDI.

I'm still looking for the next deep keeper for my city park but as of today only the E-Trac makes the grade.

Southwind, great story. Having been into this for 35 yrs. now, I've seen park's with similar-to-that stories too. Ie.: we'd struggle, back in the late 1970s, with our TR disc, to reach the '40's wheaties. And as you say, knowing the age of the park, and seeing the clear stratification by age of the coins (ie.: the older the deeper), it just "stood to reason" that there were older coins, deeper than we were reaching. Then in 1979 and '80-ish, motion discriminators hit the scene (the original 6000d, for instance), and the park "comes alive" again!. And so on, and so forth, with each new technology advancement through the years. And yes, the Explorers seem to punch a little deeper yet, and presto: more silver coins from that next 1/2" of un-charted territory :)

I'm only using an Exp. II though. I've hunted alongside E-trac users, and we commonly trade off flagged signals. There's no whisper they get, that I also can't equally hear, and vice-versa. So I'm not so sure the Etrac has more depth for park turf silver, than the Exp. II has.

And another note I'll add: some parks definately are "worked out", and I don't care how much deeper new technology will reach, there are simply no more to be had. These would be places where ....... for example ...... picnics were held out in the country, in what is now a cow pasture. I can think of a few places like that, where we combed every last living signal out of, and did, in fact, easily reach down to the oldest coins that could have been expected (ie.: based on the age of usage of the picnic site history). In places like that, where depth or junk wasn't an issue, to begin with, I'd imagine that newer machines won't necessarily open up more to be found there.

Tom_in_CA said:
Southwind, great story. Having been into this for 35 yrs. now, I've seen park's with similar-to-that stories too. Ie.: we'd struggle, back in the late 1970s, with our TR disc, to reach the '40's wheaties. And as you say, knowing the age of the park, and seeing the clear stratification by age of the coins (ie.: the older the deeper), it just "stood to reason" that there were older coins, deeper than we were reaching. Then in 1979 and '80-ish, motion discriminators hit the scene (the original 6000d, for instance), and the park "comes alive" again!. And so on, and so forth, with each new technology advancement through the years. And yes, the Explorers seem to punch a little deeper yet, and presto: more silver coins from that next 1/2" of un-charted territory :)

I'm only using an Exp. II though. I've hunted alongside E-trac users, and we commonly trade off flagged signals. There's no whisper they get, that I also can't equally hear, and vice-versa. So I'm not so sure the Etrac has more depth for park turf silver, than the Exp. II has.

And another note I'll add: some parks definately are "worked out", and I don't care how much deeper new technology will reach, there are simply no more to be had. These would be places where ....... for example ...... picnics were held out in the country, in what is now a cow pasture. I can think of a few places like that, where we combed every last living signal out of, and did, in fact, easily reach down to the oldest coins that could have been expected (ie.: based on the age of usage of the picnic site history). In places like that, where depth or junk wasn't an issue, to begin with, I'd imagine that newer machines won't necessarily open up more to be found there.
i

i understand that you could be getting the same targets and as you have gone over ground with your detector and then someone with an etrac i understand that you are happy that yours is giving you as good a result i do think however where the etrac benefits is its ability to see any good target sitting amongst alot of iron and this seems to be a big problem for you guys in the states especially when working parks and old house lots my own experience with the etrac is that i am in awe i have owned other detectors and never really understood them or dug anything as i am tone deaf and the etrac has given me the most amazing insight into the past on a seven acre paddock i own and with three hundred finds on the one lot of pasture i salute the etrac may i add that my land has been nighthawked for years as there was a roman villa quite near so you can understand when the etrac keeps giving me these good signals i just keep digging my best finds so far are an apostle spoon which was spoon end up and the apostle was 2 foot down a 1797 cartwheel penny george 111 and i am now in the roman layer as last week i found a claudius 11 gothicus 268 270 AD coin and i am just having so much fun and its all down to the etrac it is a very indivdual thing you have to have confidence in your detector and as long as your happy that is all that counts happy hunting

That question I was wanting to ask. I have an E-Trac coming and as I have several other detectors I was hoping it was not just another detector with the same capabilities as some of the detectors I already own......Jack

What I see the E-Trac do that the others struggle with it good accurate target ID on the deep ones. Most of the better high end detectors would sound off on those extremely deep coins, but only the E-Trac made it east to see it was a deep coin. IF you're really good with the other detectors you could probably pull few goodies, but really it is the accurate target ID/VDI that pulls the keepers. This park is 125 years old and has so much trash you can't just go by sound. If you did the place would look like a mine field. You've got to be selective and only a good target ID allows you to be selective. With the other detectors a 7" tab sounds and reads just like a 10" coin. On the E-Trac, when it says coin, it generally means coin.

Call it extreme cherry picking.

take the time to learn it find the best settings not only for your own person but for the hunting grounds you hunt there is so much choice it is like blending your personalities and just wait to be amazed

I just want to add this story.

The oldest standing school in my area has been hunted for the last 30years by everyone around here with all kinds of detectors. 10 years ago everyone said it was hunted out. Over the years I hunted it with new detectores and for the challenge of it probably 6-7 hunts with every new machine, then top of the line machines, I found a few good nickles and new change and finally gave up and said it was HUNTED out too. Mind you I am not a novice and I used top of the line machines. Knowing what kind of coins have come from there I never give up and try every new machine I buy at this spot . It was the first site I really hit hard and deep with my new E trac. To say the least I was totally thriiled to find 9 silvers, lots of deep wheets, and 6 great tokens, ALL VERY DEEP. IN fact I dont remember digging so many deep holes, and I have gone over it and over it scince my E trac was new and now I am slowing down again and only hunt there when I want to see if I can get deeper. I am sure there are still some coins lurking...but it takes a very good machine, lots of experiance with it and tons of patience to get to them.

The E trac really did make that old site new again for me...I see some folks hunting out there every once in a while but they stay a while and leave as it is so slow. You can say that they are inexperianced or learning or whatever but the truth is the E trac made that site a ton of fun for me. Isnt that what they mean when they say " makes old sites new again?"

good luck to you,
utahshovelhead

This is my explanation for your post......My first outing with my new e trac...and is a perfect example of what it's all about.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1450330

Here is a picture of just a few of the coins I pulled out of the city park with the E-Trac from the exact same small area I had pounded with all my other detectors. Imagine my surprise when the walking half shows up. And this is the third half since with the E-Trac.

bestwrightpark.jpg

Excellent response to my thread, just what I was looking for.Going to visit an "empty" spot (in Norway) pounded for 40 years producing hundreds of silver coins, never seen an e-trac though.....
Many Thanks !

WHAT TIME DO YOU WANT US TO MEET hahaha pity we havent got auto transport to whizz us anywhere we want to go happy hunting looking forward to your pics what mode are you going to hunt in???????are you going to be in auto sensitivity if you are and you get an iffy signal dont forget to use the four directional buttons bottom left left and right put you in and out of manual auto sensitivity and top and bottom will increase and decrease your sensitivity i hope you come home smiling happy hunting

Haha, simple, just take your vacation here..
Thanks Sugar, this season I went for TTF after being inspired here and I`m happy with that. I`m mostly using manual sens from 26 - 28, sometimes auto+3.
I will go there later this summer with a mate, who recently bought an e-trac. I`ll post and report here. Additional advice is highly appreciated !!
I`m prepared to look for mostly iffy signals as likely every shallow good targets are gone.

Hunted out parks are my favorite places to hunt. Someone has removed most of the shallow trash so I can get the deep old stuff.
Ohio Bud

gjedda63
The law of decreasing marginal returns. (google that one)
Learnd that one a long time ago.
How much time are you willing to put into a detecting trip that yields one silver dime?
One silver dime in a 8 hr. hunt would be SWEET in the most hunted out parks I know of.
Is it worth a $200 new coil, or worth an entire Saturday for one silver dime?
That's YOUR call, and it's no guarantee that one silver dime will come.
I saw a guy (my dad) pull a CSA button from a "totally" hunted out, not one more good signal possible
from this spot with his......... WHITES PRISM 2.
A $200 detector finds a $300 button that has been overlooked for almost 40 years in a POUNDED X 3 spot.
NO spot is ever hunted out, but most spots have given up most of the good finds decades ago.
It's a hobby and sometimes an addiction, but the E- trac for me has been a good detector. Any detector can yield good
finds for the swinger, choose what feels good and works for you.
Good Luck
Deep Digger