Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Well does the X-70 do @ 3khz on BIGG'UNs?

cannonball

Hello folks.
Perhaps some of you have noodled around with the 3khz coil and I would like to know your imput on how well it does on items larger than coins, things like CANNONBALLS and other large useless toe-breakers. Also has anyone a fist sized nugget in their test garden and how does the x-70 do for depth and ID on Bigg'uns? Sure enjoyed reading the posts here and wonder if there is room in my life for another detector (machine){what will the others think?}. I guess if there was one prefect machine for every situation and target, looking for the Holy Grail would have been boring. I must choose, but choose wisely.
All kidding aside, I am serious on hearing about the performance of depth and ID on large masses/signatures that you have observed @ 3khz. Any surprising finds? Any dissapointments? Please comment.
Thank you kindly,

Hey there Cannonball!

I can tell you the 3 Khz coil goes deep on the old jar lids! I have used it at sites that I have gone over before with many detector/coil combinations and am always amazed at how many it picks up compared to the others. At one site where those lids were almost never dug in the past I had to quit digging the readings they gave to same time. Very annoying to digg that deep unless it is what you are after. :lol: Now if only they were mason jars full of silver dollars.. that would be different! Seriously, with good ground conditions of evenly moist soil ect., the X-70 is very deep on that stuff.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. Sounds like the 3khz set-up would be better for the larger items. Kind of missed the message in the second sentance, did you positively ID the deep lids and then later disregard, knowing your target's ID? Tom, how well do you think was the quality of ID on the deep ones and confidence of target ID. Good repeatability? I know most people are looking for single coins and looking for large targets at depth is kind of 'outside the box'. How do you think the 3khz would do for deep relics?

The lids were in the 12-15" range and read pretty much the same. If I recall it was around 32 give or take so I did quit digging them after 4-5 came up in a row. I have dug lids that deep before with other detectors but never in this particular area. I really can't say on the big iron as I generally don't dig the deep soft iron hits. Non-ferrous stuff like coins read upscale when very deep even to the point of somtimes wrapping around to -8 but I can't honestly say how the deep big iron responds. Hopefully one of the relic hunters that lurk here will be able to answer that for you.

Tom

Thanks Tom!
If you don't mind, what do you think the 3khz coil is best suited for? Sounds like that new VFLEX DPS stuff gives a solid indication on repeatable targets. Am not familiar with the number values on this machine's read-out, but from some of the posts I have read it sounds like you have to dig afew to know what is there by the numbers.
Appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on what coil is best assigned to what targets or is it a depth issue only to use the 3khz? Let me rephrase that,...... how does Minelab speak on coil use/selection and your thoughts on the matter?
jim

Jim,
The 3kHz coil is mainly used by relic hunters who are looking for items usually larger than coins (belt buckle?), the 7.5 kHz coil is for all around coin-shooting, and the 18.75 kHz coil is designed to pick up on the small gold and silver jewelry. The 5 x 10 DD 18.75 kHz is the same as the round one except it provides better separation of trash. The 10.5 DD 7.5 kHz is like the concentric except it provides better coverage because it is a DD. Now these are not set in stone as to what they have to be used for just what they were designed to do. For instance, I use the 5 x 10 DD for coin shooting in trashy areas and do very well at finding coins. Hope this helps. HH

Cal

Again I can only speak on non-ferrous targets but the biggest advantage of the 3Khz freq is on larger high conductors. Its similar to the Advantage equipped with larger aftermarket coils performance wise. In low trash areas Target ID at depth is accurate in my ground. IMO, depth and decent TID was what the engineers were after when designing the Exterras and they did a very good job at it. Its a bit slow in the recovery speed department for hunting trashy areas which may have been a tradeoff for the depth? :shrug:

I have seen posts complaining of poor depth but here in my ground when the conditions are good (nice moist soil ect) with the sensitivity at or near max the X-70 with the 9" coil is a monster. That said, my main gripe is that 9" coil. Since most of us use the 7.5Khz freq we would have preferred a selection of concentric/DD coils in the more standard 6", 8" and 10" ranges to give us some flexibility for hunting varied conditions.

Thank you Tom, Cal
I also like using the DD on machines and can sort through trash pretty good with one. I am interested in the 3khz operation and looks like the Minelabs are the only game in town. In reading what I could get on the product ( the company website would not let me retrieve indivigual product info) it sounds like each coil is 'chipped. If this is an accuate understanding then after-market coils will be hard to find. That leaves us to the mercy of the MFRG to provide more coils. I for one would buy the machine knowing that it is versital and capable of versitility (coils available). Now that the holiday rush to make product is about over, maybe they will make some more coil configurations. It would be a good time to announce-duh? Sounds like there are seasoned TH'rs here that have alot of good feedback on the machine, yet the lack of coil selection leads one to remember 'orphined' technology that had no support only to be supported by a smart product that had the consumer in mind. Hence, the after-market coil business. In fact, Minelab would be less attractive without the coilteck group of products. Same for Jimmy and Sunray who fill a need- all these have done a fine job. Chipped coils and little selection= restriction of the product/consumer. Are they deaf? If the coils are chipped and aftermarket coils are out of the question, then Minelab better get a clue and listen up to the ones who fill their paychecks. Perhaps the parent company has more interest in AUDIO. Can you hear me now? I guess they know what we like best for consumables and Minelab has never really rushed to make a great product line better with coil selection.
Ok then gentlemen, thanks again you have been a whole lot more informative than the maker. Just don't know what IMO and TID is Tom, sorry but each day is a new oppertunity to learn an old dog,....

Jim

P.S. saw a goldscan 5 on ebay last night for those who are interested.
Last seen it was at just under $600.00 US. 2 days left.