Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to tell silver clad?

NWMOhunter

How can you tell if a coin was made silver clad? I'm looking through half dollars today and have read where some were made silver clad by mistake. Is the best way to tell to look at the edge and if it has 2 colors (like brass and silver) then it isn't silver?

Or is there another way?

Kennedy halves only. The 1970's were only issued from the mint, so it would be a stange find. The proof coins are full silver with an "S" mint mark and do show up in the rolls occasionally and are shiny on the background with frosty details. Check with ebay. A;so there are error coins such as double die in those years. There's an RPM-Re-Punched Mint Mark "D" on the 1964. You need a good magnifier to see it. No one collects them much so the errors don't have much value but add to a collection.
HH

n/t

Nope. 1970s, Silver Proof, 1970d, 40%, only sold in mint sets, proofs.

I just read that in 1971 and 1977 halves, some were accidentally clad in silver. I was trying to figure out how you could tell if it was or wasn't.

This is where I got my info.....
http://www.coinrollhunting.com/halves.php

Some of the Kennedy halves were 40% silver but it wasn't clad, it was part of the general composition. Also clad is a different color than silver. Silver just tarnishes whereas clad corrodes and darkens with age and use and won't polish up to original brilliance. All clads are a sandwich of copper and base metal which shows up on the edge.

Bill

A metal detector sitting in a closet is as useless as an unread book, so "Swing and dig, daily if possible. I have found more in 2 years than so have found in 20 years, because I swing and dig as often as possible.

Kennedy Half's

1964 (silver) Composition: .900 silver, .100 copper.
1965 to 1970 (silver-clad) Composition: Outer layer of .800 silver, .200 copper bonded to inner core of .210 silver, .790 copper.

1971 to present. (copper-nickel-clad) Composition: Outer layer of .750 copper, .250 nickel bonded to pure copper inner core.

Errors: I read where some of the 1965-70 silver clad planchets got into the 1971 planchets so you should be on the lookout for one of these silver looking 1971