Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to tell if it is silver

2muchhomework

I have been away from detecting for about 4 years and just got back into it. Last night my son and I found a little cup under a rock. I use the Explorer and it sounds the same as a silver quarter and sounds like a sterling silver test ring I have. I was wondering how you test if something is silver or what other metals would give similar sounds. Thanks.

Barb

If it's silver it would be quite heavy, probably would have markings on it stating it's silver such as: 925 or "sterling". Get a precious metals test kit if you want to be sure.

n/t

Anything large like TIN or aluminum and if yoiu have it in Cond its going to sound with a high tone. Take a look at the digital screen whats it reading?

weigh it. then see how much water it displaces. then divide the two and find it's density.

it'll get you close enough to silver, or whatever it may/may not be.

I've tried it and it works. Find a piece of aluminum foil and place the item in it. Spit on it enough to get it wet. Roll it up and let it stand for say 10-15 seconds. Open it and if it smells "sulferish" it is silver. Try it.

An aluminum pepsi can registers just to the left of the upper right corner and sounds a little lower in tone than this thing. This pegs into the upper right corner with a very high tone just like a silver quarter or a silver ring. That is why I had the question. But it is not very heavy which would make me think aluminum. Unless it is some kind of purer aluminum than a pepsi can.