Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to Make a better Pinpointer out of a Cen-tech

treasurebone

Hey everyone! I just put up a video tutorial on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5seiLHyNbjw This video shows you how to mod the Centech Hand Held Metal Detector from Harbor Freight and turn it into a pretty darn good pinpointer. Great for a back up or for all of us who are feeling the financial crunch right now. I also have a set of written instructions with photos on my blog at http://treasurebone.blogspot.com/2011/07/cen-tech-hand-held-metal-detector-mod.html Feel free to leave me comments on my blog, youtube or PM me if you have any questions. Thanks and I hope this helps someone out.

I gave up on that thing...it has absolutely no depth whatsoever...even on those big pliers...The BH (Teknetics) pinpointer is cheap and gets at least 2"...

HH,

Treasurebone;
Thanks for the vid on how to modify the cen tec pinpointer. With a couple of variations from your instructions I have just completed my mod. The one big thing I did was to eliminate the "speaker". I guess I just like to hunt in "stealth mode". Now I can't wait to get a chance to try it out. Thanks again, good luck, HH.

Jeff

Jeff,

Let me know how it works for ya! Actually getting rid of the speaker should cut out a little of the vlotage draw which may give that Motor a little more umph!

Treasurebone;
Sorry for the delay in my response. My Internet "provider" has been having issues. Looks like my first chance to give the modded pin pointer a good workout will be this Labor day weekend. Just an FYI my mods were done from my "junk box" because the nearest radio shack from me is around 60 miles, round trip. I ended up using a rocker style switch as this is what I had on hand. I also thought this might be a little "lower profile" as it would not protrude as much as the toggle style switch (again, using nothing but junk box parts). I had to enlarge the opening for the switch a bit and remove the "beeper" to get the switch to fit. Next I used a "vibrator" from an old junk cell phone in place of the "beeper". So far all bench and air tests have been positive. I will know better this weekend once I am able to give the modded pinpointer a good "once over". Will report back with my findings later.

Jeff

jazzman58 said:
Treasurebone;
Sorry for the delay in my response. My Internet "provider" has been having issues. Looks like my first chance to give the modded pin pointer a good workout will be this Labor day weekend. Just an FYI my mods were done from my "junk box" because the nearest radio shack from me is around 60 miles, round trip. I ended up using a rocker style switch as this is what I had on hand. I also thought this might be a little "lower profile" as it would not protrude as much as the toggle style switch (again, using nothing but junk box parts). I had to enlarge the opening for the switch a bit and remove the "beeper" to get the switch to fit. Next I used a "vibrator" from an old junk cell phone in place of the "beeper". So far all bench and air tests have been positive. I will know better this weekend once I am able to give the modded pinpointer a good "once over". Will report back with my findings later.

Jeff

Awesome, Jeff!

Heck yeah that's the way to go...if you've got stuff in the junk drawer that can do the job, well that's always the first route! I'm sure a lot of us MD'ers like to tinker and I'm sure a lot of us like to save money and your approach does both! Let me know how this works.

Treasurebone

Okay TB;
Got it out for a true "test run". Works just fine. Took a bit to get used to the vibrate instead of the tone but other than that no problems. Thanks again for the vid. Catch up with you later........Jazzman58

Jeff

I purchased one 2 weeks ago and used the motor from a small vibrating razor. Works great!

Bucksport;
The one I modded was about 5 or 6 years old. I had bought it before I got into metal detecting. People need to realize that these are intended for use in wood working. You would typically run it up and down a board to see if it had any nails, screws, etc in it. They do work for the metal detecting hobby but are not just "meant" for it. I now own 3 of these things so I am sold on them. Like Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies, "you just have to know your limitations". Knowing the limitation on the cen tech will make it work for you that much better.

HH

Jeff

It's a perfect companion to my detector. It's limitations in my book are it's strong points. I DO NOT need a pinpointer to go deeper than an inch. If I needed that I should probably work on my pinpointing skills with my detector. I usually have my target narrowed down to a 2x2 inch area with just x-ing the target. If my HF unit breaks I will just buy another one. Money well spent. I see no need to spend over 100 bucks on another model.
HH

I'm almost finished with this, gotta make my handle and plug up a couple holes Have my switch and vibrating motor going to the handle and will try to mount it kinda like a sunray i guess.

looks nice. I keep a Cen Tech in my work van along with my Tesoro Compadre. This is my lunch time set up if I am near a park during my lunch break. When the weather is wet, I look like the homeless detectorist. I have the control box of detector and pinpointed inside zip lock baggies.Looks tacky, but works great. I might have to pick another one up and try your two piece set up, and water resistant the case. Thanks for the pics.

Could you post a little more details on how you extended the coils away from the box, coinjumper? I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm having trouble with the beep always triggering, no matter the sensitivity. I'm also having trouble attaching the enamel wire to any other wire. As it is now, I'm burning the enamel off with a lighter, and wrapping it.

Any tips? Thanks!

After using the gold metal detector I found that it is really a good device, it can not only help to save time but also can help you to save energy. And besides being used for looking for gold, the gold detectors can alao be used to help the archologist in finding treasures and used in many other important places as security tool.