Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how to find the date of a place you want to hunt

aschwars

Zillow is very useful for metal detecting. It is a website used to find homes for sale, but it will also tell you the date of when almost any house was built. To find the date of a park, you have to type in the address of a house near the park you want to hunt. the park's address wont work because the park will never be for sale. on the map, click on houses near the park to find the date of the houses. This will tell you the date of when the park was made, but you have to find multiple dates because some houses might have been built recently.

please post what you think about it!

Im not understanding what you said. Are you saying you can tell the age of a park by the dates of the homes around it? I normally just use the Parks and Recs website to find out the date a park was established. If i need to know information on a piece of property, most counties have a GIS system thats will give you taxes, names, plots, age of home and a ton more public info. Ill have to take a look at the site to see what info its giving me that my old maps, GIS, and parks and recs doesnt.

Dew

[size=large]i have a friend who turned me onto zillow when i was selling my home a few years ago. it even showed me all permits issued to the address from the county / city. i know realator use it very heavely for buying and selling. can't remember now if it's free. was free when i tried it before.
as for county gis. not all will give good info on parks. i've been using a site from a video on you tube by newswipe, he takes you step by step to get on your county gis/ assessor's web site much like dew is probly using. each county is differant but the three i've tried tell me all i need.

HH[/size]

dewcon,
Using the dates of houses around the park usually works because the park was a park when people started living there. old maps can be confusing because the street name might have changed, but you can still find the date of a park. zillow would just take less time, but it can also be confusing when it comes to newly built houses. finding multiple dates helps because you won't find very many places with one old park and new houses built all around it.

Nice tip, been using it myself for couple of years. Use it mostly to zero in on the old sections of towns and then drive the area to check for demos or empty lots. When I find an old house for sale I'll enter the address in google maps and take a look at the sattillite map to check for any nearby parks too. Nice thing to play with when you have some free time on your hands.

Don't give away too many secrets it's getting harder and harder to find good spots to detect:detecting:

Thanks for the information aschwars