Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to dig in a loaded spot?

Molinari

Greetings,

I have found a spot on the edge of a river with hundreds of bottles- most without screw tops. I've never been a bottle hunter, but today my brother and I dug about fifty or so...most clear, some brown, and tons of broken blue, green, and red glass around the area. My question is, how do i dig more of these safely?

I've been going through the wet, iron filled dirt slowly with a spade, and although I've already dug many safely, I feel like I might be breaking a lot in the meantime.

NJM

When I was digging for bottles , the standard gear I used was both a long and short handled garden scratcher / claw , some may even call the long handled one a clam rake , a good pair of gloves , bug repellent ,a container to carry back the finds , and most importantly an understanding of what is collectible and what you leave for the next hunter years later ...
Fancy Garden scratcher :

https://www.bluestonegarden.com/viewitem.php?ProductID=36

Long handle scratcher :
https://www.bluestonegarden.com/viewitem.php?ProductID=89
used with this ...
https://www.bluestonegarden.com/viewitem.php?ProductID=4

[quote SurfCutter]When I was digging for bottles , the standard gear I used was both a long and short handled garden scratcher / claw , some may even call the long handled one a clam rake , a good pair of gloves , bug repellent ,a container to carry back the finds , and most importantly an understanding of what is collectible and what you leave for the next hunter years later ...
Fancy Garden scratcher :

.............Also you can use a long handled hoe! If these are coming out of the river bank maybe just a long handled trowel and go very slowly do not pry anything out, wear gloves and if kneeling use knee pads............be careful......very easy to get cut from old glass! ...................HH.............Joe

When you hear the clunk,stop - it is a bottle. I dig with a garden fork to turn over the soil first ,then that exposes bottles and other goodies such as clay smoking pipes and pot lids, doll heads'. marbles, etc , as you might throw them out - and you only may find these gems when backfilling your hole, as all good bottle diggers do .Cheers Craig from Downunder.

If there are that many bottles it is a (newer) dump,sounds like a 1920s 30s dump.Its a good place to start out though.
The garden tool is a good tool,I use the 3 prong type scratcher it works well for me. We dig mostly 1800s privy's so we have to be really careful,and dig slowwww when we find a bottle.In the dumps we have the same process,but you can only dig one bottle (at a time) the reason you may brake a lot is because of the excitement and going to fast.Slow down and pick one then another,you brake less that way. Rick