Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to detect highly mineralized soil

Dman

I have been invited to hunt in Virginia. The soil is red and highly mineralized. I have an Explorer SE. Does anyone have any ideas and settings I can use to hunt this kind of soil. I have never hunted in Virginia.
Dman

Depth was very limited due to the minerals. I did better with small coils and going REAL slow and lots of good targets will be just a little better than the ground noise. Less sens. is probably better but with a small coil you don't need to turn it down too far.
In my opinion the Explorer will do as well or better than any other machine in that ground.
Neal

An Infinium would do very well. I seen a vid on here in one of the forums and the guy was hunting in VA and he mentioned the high mineral content of the soil and how it screwed up a lot of conventional MD's. He had an Infinium and he got a US buckle.

You can deal with minerals a little better with a pattern search. I found i can up my sensitivity just because it helps eliminate falseing from minerals, soil taps, and EMI. You may loose a little depth in those kind of soils, but sometime having hard red soil doesnt allow the coins to shift as deeply.

If you are talking about the DIV hunt in Culpeper which has the worst ground on the planet here is what you need to do. I have used an XS there and have been very successful. My diggin buddy uses an Explorer 2 with these same settings. Your SE is a little different but here are some basic settings. First off you must use the stock coil. Nothing can beat it not even a small coil. You will just loose depth. Take your sensitivity to the point where it starts falsing then bump it down a couple numbers. Make sure you run in manual. Set IM at 14 or 15, Deep on, Fast Off, Gain 10. Also you should run in Smartscreen. Maybe the most important thing I have found is make sure you sweep very slow and keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. Digging in that powered iron dirt is tricky. Many good signals will jump around on the screen. If it even hints at being a good signal then dig it. You can expect about half the depth that you are used to getting. If you know your machine you will do OK. Hope this helps.

Marc

Marc in Va said:
If you are talking about the DIV hunt in Culpeper which has the worst ground on the planet here is what you need to do. I have used an XS there and have been very successful. My diggin buddy uses an Explorer 2 with these same settings. Your SE is a little different but here are some basic settings. First off you must use the stock coil. Nothing can beat it not even a small coil. You will just loose depth. Take your sensitivity to the point where it starts falsing then bump it down a couple numbers. Make sure you run in manual. Set IM at 14 or 15, Deep on, Fast Off, Gain 10. Also you should run in Smartscreen. Maybe the most important thing I have found is make sure you sweep very slow and keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. Digging in that powered iron dirt is tricky. Many good signals will jump around on the screen. If it even hints at being a good signal then dig it. You can expect about half the depth that you are used to getting. If you know your machine you will do OK. Hope this helps.

Marc
Thanks for the tip. Yes I am hunting in March on the DIV hunt. I will need all the help I can get.