Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how old?

findit

how old is the detector you are using or what is the oldest one you use? has anyone noticed a decrease in performance throughout the years?

About 27 yrs old, Tesoro Aztec, works great--it can be pretty finicky if I mis-tune it Dead accurate for pinpointing.

Howdy Y'all

My Toltec ll is 14 yrs. old, had it since new in 1994. My original bandido was made in about 1990, I've had it since 2002. Both are great machines. The newest Tesoro is my Tiger Shark I bought in 2001. It performs well. I don't have any thing newer to compare to, so I don't know...............Hombre

A 1974 100 khz Compass Coinhustler TR I use for hunting nail laden places, and occasionally for tot lots and playgrounds. I don't think the base performance of the newer detectors has decreased but it hasn't improved much. Lots of bells and whistles on the new models but depth, discrimination and target separation doesn't seem to be any better than on some detectors that were made 18-20 years ago.
coinhustler.jpg
[attachment 92986 nutin.gif]

My oldest machine right now is a Tesoro Sidewinder. It is a great competition machine and I am currently teaching my kids with it. They went out in the back yard a few days ago and were digging several targets that I had missed with my other machines. This machine is about 10 years old. I wish that they still sold a machine like the sidewinder, the Tesoro line is lacking somewhat right now. It is either $200 machine or $600 machine. I paid a bit over $200 for the sidewinder second hand and it has everything I want in a competition machine ease of use and a accurate pinpoint function. I don't believe that I will ever sell this Sidewinder.

HH

I don't think any of mine are over 8 years old.

They are all used and the oldest is my

Silver Sabre uMax. It works great.

HH,

Hi !

My oldest one must not be well-known in the USA : a C-Scope CS 550 (minidisc) made in UK. Came out in 1984 and produced till 2006.

The detector is very similar in look to a Hays US detector (or is it Hayes ?:confused:)

It is a 100 Khz TR detector with a 6" coil. It runs 40 hours with one PP3 battery. There is a factory-set disc, giving kind of a bell tone above iron or minerals, and an increase of the threshold for ferrous alloys and non-ferrous targets.

It really is a thin targets killer, including gold chains and tiny charms, and also an excellent relic hunter. The depth of detection for a coin-sized target is about 7-8". I use it on holidays (it breaks small) and for beach hunting after the first storms.

The best detector in my opinion is a Mayan Tesoro. I love this detector! I bought another one on Ebay awhile back and it is just as good. I would buy another one if I had the opportunity. I have bought several other brands since I bought the Mayan brand new (I believe in the early 80's). I have always gone back to the Mayan.
Anybody have one for sale?? ;-)) Mine are getting pretty rough.
I just found this site looking for anything about Mayan Tesoro's . My first post, Hi all.
Dee

Hi Dee,

welcome to the forum.

Not many Mayan users that I know of.

May be Monte or someone can help you.

HH,

Welcome Dee. I also prefer a vintage detector, mine being the aztec. I love the responses the detector gives. Although mine has been quite the trash hound lately since I've been hunting all-metal.:pulltab: