Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How old could this be ?

Antique lover

This has got to be the smallest wash or cook pot I have ever seen.It is only about 6 inches tall.I saw a picture that dated back about the civil war era of one about this size.. VERY neat ! This picture is after it took me about 3 hours of cleaning it with a wire brush on a drill.Then I wiped it down with pure hog lard ! ( Yes I am from the south).

Can you give us a clear picture of the outside bottom (between the legs)? Sometimes the marks left over from the casting process will help date it.

Here are better close ups.It has the cast mark across the bottom. A round looking part on one side , and the other side as the # 12 on it. I know it is NOT gals. or pints or quarts. Any info would be great. I really would like the know how old it is.

Looks pretty close to the ones made up here in PA at the old iron furnaces/forge sites. My guess would be 1790-1830.

I have one of those at my cabin. At least it was made to a similar pattern. Mine is a modern and I have a lid and a fire starter in it. the fire starter used kerosene or lamp oil and is an iron rod with a porous stone as a wick for the fuel.

Try googling it. Mine is 30-40 years old. My parents had it when I was a kid.

HH

I googled "cast iron fire starter pot" and then "images" and came up with dozens of similar pots. Not to say they are not reproductions of your vintage pot.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cast+iron+fire+starter+pot&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=lxF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=lo-tTo_xOKLd0QHY9JWTDw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1304&bih=616&sei=%20n4-tToLhA8by0gGxsuiyDw