Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many tones do you hunt with??

I read through the owners manual and I'm ready to give the T-2 it's first test run. I'm not sure how many tones I want to start with when I start using the T-2. I many hunt old house yards with lots of trash. How many tones do you hunt with and what types af areas do you detect? Thanks , CoinShooter-Craig

CSC, I like 3, I hunt mostly public land, parks, schools, woods, and yards.

Good luck and take care, Dave (Central Illinois) Where are you at?

Three ( 3) works well for me..3b can cause the Id to blank on the screen. Thas normal...Id and Audio are seperate on the t2 so when you use 3b bottle cap reject your using some discrminination that effects the screen No # ID's

Good Luck you are going to like it after just a little learning what it's telling you..and it will do deep too.

Discrimination-----22
Sensitivity-----------75
Tones------------------3
Get a good ground balance!

I use 3 tones mostly, disc. 21 a lot and sen. as high as possible...usually 80-90. I can attest that this is one deep set up. Just starting out, though, I would use disc. 10, sen. 70-75 and 3 tones. This still gets great depth. Good luck and HH jim tn

Add me to the 3 tone list too ;)

I'm in Northern Wisconsin Near Antigo ( Langalde County )
dave5710 said:
CSC, I like 3, I hunt mostly public land, parks, schools, woods, and yards.

Good luck and take care, Dave (Central Illinois) Where are you at?

When I am relic hunting (most of the time) I use 2+

when I am coin shooting I use 3

when I am in sites with lots of iron I use delta pitch.

I use almost every one except for the delta pitch. In trashy area's I use 1 tone because Dankowski says it separates the better and I have to believe he's right. I use two tones to separate the iron in some area's, and I use the 3b bottle cap program when I'm in an area with lots of bottle caps. I really haven't come across a location where I would use the delta pitch yet but maybe some day it will pay off also.

I find it easier to hear when there is a good target partially masked by a piece of iron than the 2+ or 3 modes. Plus I've used a Minelab Explorer XS for many years (still have it but it is a back up to my T2 now) and so I am sort of used to having a lot of different tones. All those tones may be too much for some, but the XS was good training at getting used to it.

Anyway, whenever I think there maybe a good target partially masked by iron I will switch to DP and then swing from different directions over the targets to try and figure out which side of the iron the good target is and then pinpoint from that side using the detuning method as described in the T2 manual until I get separation between the targets in PP mode. If the targets are too close together to get a separate pinpoint, or if my Propointer can pick them both up in one hole then I will dig them both. Sometimes the iron targets are interesting too, from a relic perspective.

do you think the t-2 is better than the explorer. i have the sovereign but the t-2 doesn't seem to find anything i missed with the sovereign. thanks.

if you hunt sites that have any ferrous targets mixed in with the good stuff and you run your Minelab whatever with any iron masking or pattern which takes out any iron, the T-2 is better IMO.

the one site that i got lots of old coins with the sovereign is full of iron. i went back with a 1270 and a musky and got signals every where but the were all iron. all i got in this area with the t-2 was a wheat penny. i'm getting an explorer to try. thanks.

that the Sov's and Explorers are great detectors. I've had them all except the GT and the E-Trac. What I've noticed is that the good coins IN CLOSE proximity to ferrous items are usually heard easier while using a faster hunting sweep speed with the T-2, both using stock coils. I have a good friend that has put more hours on Sov's than anyone I know and he's hammerd some old iron laden sites that have deep coins to where there are virtually no more detectable old coins no matter what you swing. BUT, it took him considerably more hours of hunting than it would have if he'd had a T-2, F-75 or an Omega type detector. Just my honest opinion and opinions vary. If you're looking for an Explorer, I have my SE Pro that I'd part with. PM me if you're interested.

Hey Chuck - There is no doubt that iron mask mode on the Explorers does a great job at masking iron, but the problem is that the explorers have a relatively slow recovery speed (takes extra time to process all those frequencies).- much slower than a t2, so if you sweep past a piece of iron it will get mask out but it will take the explorer about a foot of swing distance swing distance before it resets and is ready to process the next target and so it will get mask too.

To see what I mean in action watch this video on youtube from a UK detector shop doing a test on an Explorer SE which is much faster than my old XS - yhe recovery speed tesyt is about 1/2 way through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBT-LxVoIg

BTW they run several other machines thru the exact same tests so you can compare them - watch the F75 video to get an idea about how the t2 would react to the same test. The recovery speed test is easy to duplicate yourself. I use an old square cut nail and a mercury dime myself the t2 resets for the next target really fast - this is crucial when hunting in sites with lots of targets in close proximity.

The minelab FBS technology has a lot of advantages especially in tough ground but it comes with some cost in recovery speed. I have a Minelab X-Terra 705 too (won at at hunt about a month ago). The 705 seems to be just as fast as the t2 when it comes to recovery speed. I'm really impressed with Minelab's vflex technology - its the real deal, but I love my T2 as well and its still my number 1 machine for relic hunting even though the 705 with the 3 Khz coil is no slouch. That 11 dd coil on the t2 is just what you need when you're staring at a 10 acre farm field.

chuck said:
do you think the t-2 is better than the explorer. i have the sovereign but the t-2 doesn't seem to find anything i missed with the sovereign. thanks.

Better is a relative term.

Sov is a fine machine, and does a very good job of detecting coins.
T2 does a very fine job of detecting coins and is a very fine machine.

One is fast processor, One is slow processor
One is single frequency, One is 17 frequency.

Depending on where your hunting, and what your looking for determines which machine is "better"

Better meaning Finding targets...........They both find deep targets with a little twist of how they do it.

T2 is all new technology....designed to go deep, be fast, and be accurate. You must decide which is better for you.

I like 3 tones with sensitivity around 70 to 80 and 40 on discrimination for coin hunting..

and other gold. IMO, the GT gives a more stable tone on gold than the SE, E-TRAC, T2, Tejon, or F75. Recently at an old farmhouse I hunted a small area around the backdporch with an SE, ET, Tejon, and T2/F75 and dug a couple of wheaties, there were some iffy signals but none were good. I got out the Sovereign and immediately dug a white gold round necklace setting with diamonds all around and a piece of sterling about 1" long and 1/4" wide. Both were solid signals from both directions and the same at 90 degrees. It was the only detector that did this. Why.?? I do not know. I use the T2 and the ET almost all the time though because I find that I have a hard time telling small aluminum from a good item with the SovereignGT, and that gets old fast in a trashy area.

J