Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many of you guys can tell the differance in the audio between a dime and a Zinc on the new GT. I can't. Duh. :shrug:

I can. ....as long as I don't hear the dime first. I can also tell if something is about half way between the two.....if I don't hear the dime first.

HH

The zinc penny has a grainy sound to it, and it hits boingie like pull tabs. A DIME Will have the same sound as a quarter, but be a much shorter sound. I.E. sound like a quarter at depth past 6".

Everything sounds the same to me, I'm going to get my hearing tested, this is starting to get worrisome.

Give us a rundown of your settings Joe, mainly the switches. What headphones are you using?

I can if I've been hunting and finding a variety of coins, but if I haven't hunted for a while probably not. What I find interesting is that zincolns tend to move around when your pinpointing them, so that's another clue I can use. They also come in (if I recall correctly) in the lower 170's range on the DTI TID meter, vs a copper penny or dime which will typically lock in around 180. Nickels hit lower and sound different.

joecoin said:
Everything sounds the same to me, I'm going to get my hearing tested, this is starting to get worrisome.
...............................................................................I THINK THAT A LOT MORE OF US ARE more TONE DEAF THAN WE CARE TO THINK ABOUT!! It is really worth it to invest in a good meter like the Sun-ray! A lot of targets sound the SAME to me too but I can tell the difference on the digital meter!!!...................HH..........Joe

I can usually tell the difference on the audio between zinc and a dime,but I don't separate these two targets.Most of the time on a 180 meter I'll dig the targets above 173-180.The numbers I watch are 177-178 the can slaw zone,which the conductivity is even closer and more difficult to tell by the audio or tone from a dime.

Joe..
Getting your hearing tested might not do any good, unless they test for tone deafness. You could have "perfect" hearing....meaning that you can hear all the different tones that they throw at you at a very low level, but you can still be tone deaf....all the different tones sound alike.

On top of that, the tones in a hearing test cover a large frequency range in large steps. That does not relate well to the tones of a Sov which are all within a relatively narrow range compared to the entire audio spectrum.

A zinc and a copper only have a few hz difference in their peak freq response. With different people , the brain distinguishes different pitches with a different amount of precision. Musicians can tell what "key" they are hearing, and if it's a bit off.
You will frequently hear people say that a Sov's audio all sounds the same , while others say that it has only 3 or 4 tones.....when in fact it has hundreds.
There are so many tones with a Sov that many objects can be identified by the complex tone patters generated during the sweep. How fast you sweep and how narrow the window of detection is affect the complexity of the sound pattern....that's even before you throw in the general or the peak frequency range.
This throws in the wild card with a Sov....the width of the detection window of the coil....or the target seperation of it. Some coils are very bland sounding and require you to look at the meter to ID a target because they simply look at too much ground at one time and only see one conductivity of the target. The ones that are more selective see a lot of conductivity change as the coil is swept, and produce a distinctively complex tone pattern that does not require looking at the meter for ID.

Hope this did not confuse you too much.

HH

Hey BB,

I've got a GT with the stock 10" DD coil (and a Sunray 5").

Usual settings:

Iron mask -"ON"
Sens - either "AUTO" or 12 o'clock
Threshold - nice and low, smooth
Volume - MAX

Headphones - Gray Ghost

I have no meter.

Perhaps I don't hear sounds the same as most people; I never thought Frank Sinatra or Elvis Presley could sing worth a crap, and I'd rather hear 10,000 fingernails on chalkboards than listen to the Beach Boys.

Thanks,

Joe

After picking up the signal in Disc switch to all metal and slowly sweep the coil over the target. Itt helps if you can lift the coil a bit , and not lose the signal, as being to close tends to blend AM tones. The zinc will give that wavy gravy sound (you have to hear it for yourself) the dime will give a low up low sound.. I dont pinpoint much anymore but I do keep AM set in Fixed so I can switch from Disc to AM Fixed and back. You also need good headphones for this..

I know that everyones hearing is different and I for one have problems with mine because of some wisdom tooth problems that i've had. I've been using the Gray Ghost headphones for while now and thought I really liked them until just recently when I bought a used set of Killer B's, Optima headphones. I can't believe the difference. They make the Gray Ghost's seem muffled. I can hear a better seperation in tones with the Killer B's.

I'm not going to talk about the headphones that come with my Excalibur II but you want to talk about everything sounding the same.........:thumbdown:

Also depends on how the Sovereign is set up internally, I have mine all adjusted to the same range of tones using the internal pot so i have no problems changing machines, i did my mates GT the same as mine as there was very little difference in the high and low tone, now he loves it. The adjustment doesn't seem to affect the low tone just streatch the scale so that the higher ones are a little higher thus giving better seperation.

I disagree with this, but that is my hearing too as i am deaf in the high tones and real bad in the other tones. I have bought a couple of used Sovereigns others have set the tones up and to me the nickles sound almost like a zinc penny while all the other tones sounds with a higher tone and I can not tell them apart. These were both set at max on the tones and I didnt know this was done before I got them, but I should have known when they both said that they couldnt tell the difference in the tones. Now I think it is a good to be able to tweak them a little for you hearing, but max is way too much and if you do it just try a little at a time.
Even with my bad hearing and I mean bad I can hear the tones just fine with my Timberwolf headphone as they are the loudest I have found for the Sovereigns, but on my Explorer I have to use the Troy Pros to get good volume. These tone with the Timberwolfs I can hear just fine as it must be a good match up with my hearing. As far as telling a zinc penny from a copper pennies I can tell the difference in most cases, but not 100% and why I feel a good 180 meter is very important. Nickles to me have a differnt tones than the pulltabs and the only ones that I get fooled on is the beaver tails off the older round pulltabs, but they read 14-141 while the nickles have been 144=145 with war nickle as high as 151, but they have a different tone than a pulltab and do sound like a nickle too even though the meter reads higher. If the meter is calibrated to 180 for a new quarter or dime I find my zinc pennies and the IH will read 176-177 while the good coins of copper, clad and silver will be 179-180 while as someone mentioned a screwcap will read 177 and bounce to 178 most of the time unless it has been flattened out then it read 179-180 like a good coin will.

I have mine set at about 3/4, full up seems to bring in a sort of strained resonance(similar to a hifi with cheap speakers when turned up full), I also have both 180 and 550 meters and prefer the 550, having said that we are dealing with 3 sets of currencies over here, old pesetas, new pesetas and the new Euros, the 1c, 2c and 5c or a

yeah thats real tough for me also. Ive got good hearing but those two are really close in tone.

Neil