Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Luke Field in Arizona was a part of the Cuban Crisis!

Cupajo

While I was in Arizona in the Air Force a few incidents happened that someone may find of interest. One of them was our deployment during the Cuban crisis; our fighter/bomber squadron was deployed to Homestead Air Force Base, Florida. the main jumping off place for Cuba and my first time to Florida. Luke Field had the F-100 series aircraft then. We loaded them with all the weapons they could carry and they sat over-night full of fuel, on full alert; ready to fly to Cuba and back.

Some one with a cooler head than most people were exhibiting at that moment, calculated the fuel supply against the payload of the aircraft and realized that the pilots had enough fuel to make it to Cuba and drop their payload, but didn

a couple years later they had some problems in the dominican republic and we sent troops in.i think all the service bases in puerto rico were effected.we lived close to the runways and their was the constant noise of planes taking off and landing.props and jets.

When the USA responded with so much heavy fire-power moving to Florida that it dropped a few inches lower in the water :) The Commies had to take notice and backed down!! It was interesting to be involved and the only reaction I had to all the upheaval was I ordered a Marble Manufacturing Co.survival knife that I have to this day!!