Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How long does the V3i need to ID a target?

pulltabMiner

I lowered the Recovery Delay to 45 and wow! The ground seemed to come alive! I am not exaggerating when I say I hunt trashy parks. So I wonder, why hunt with longer Recovery delay settings at all? Am I missing deep targets with the faster RD?

How long does the V3i need to id a target?

A faster recovery doesn't cause the detector to lose depth. However, since it makes a shorter tone it makes it harder to hear in some cases. So indirectly it can cause you to miss deeper targets. I don't recommend lower than 40 but some UK guys are hunting a 24??

Longer delays are good for deeper targets in clean areas. How long does it take? It depends. It depends on your swing speed and coils. Bigger coils need longer delay, smaller coils need shorter. Faster swings need shorter and slower need longer.

The detector can only get information when the target is under the coil. I want the recovery to start when the edge of my coil picks up the target and stop when my other edge just leaves the target. Put two coins a little wider than your coil and adjust the RD not your swing until you can hear both coins. Tell me what RD you get.

i have noticed that when i have a recovery delay of 100 i get a little better depth then at 65... i have never run it lower....give it a try ..bury a coin like 8 inches and try it at 100 andd then at 45...i am not saying that rob is wrong but i am just telling you what my test have shown...let us know how u make out

When deep hunting silver and old coppers, I like to have recovery around 90 to 100. I like the full "round sound". It is also easier to distinguish between deep trash and treasure IMHO.

Depending on many factors including trash, a RD of 100 can cause loss of targets because of masking. One RD setting cannot fit all conditions at all sites for all people. If it did there would be no need for an adjustment at all. Two people one swinging slow and one swinging fast should not be using the same RD. For a really slow swinger 100 might not even be enough. To use 100 with a 6x10 I would really have to move like a snail.
[attachment 226341 2012-03-14_182007.jpg]

I have used RD up to 110 with my D2, but not always. Use what best works for you.

Here's an old write up I did.
RECOVERY DELAY
Once the recovery delay cycle is started by encountering a target, the V3i will give a certain recovery time" to the process. You decide how many time units the V3i has by how high or low you set the recovery delay. If you give the V3i 100 R/D time units it must use every one before it can start a new recovery time. If your detector passes over one target, you must use 100% of the time units before the V3i can process another target. This would be for all targets regardless of being a higher or lower conductor target. However, if you're in the Recovery Delay cycle and you're over a rejected target, if you go over a good target that has a LARGER signature, you'll over-ride the remaining portion of the RD phase and hear the good target. Likewise, if you're in the RD cycle and you're over a good target, if you pass over a rejected target that has a LARGER signature, you can shut down the detector's response. The down side is when the new signal is weaker than the one being processed it will not be heard until the recovery delay is finished.
A shorter R/D should work better at a site that is more cluttered. Remember the R/D is how long the V3i has to process the first target, and then be ready to process a second target. Lower R/D numbers gives a SHORTER delay and higher R/D numbers give a LONGER delay. Faster recovery doesn

I noticed last night while experimenting that RD effects discim mode as well. I placed 2 quarters on the floor 4 ins. apart and with RD at 40 (6X10DD) signal was broken up and appeared as 1 long target., Reduced RD to 25 and got 2 perfect and separate hits. This is going to work well for me in newer, trashy parks where everything is less than 6 ins. I hope.

Recovery delay is a discrimination mode setting. All metal will not be affected by it. If running mixed mode, the only time that RD affects your output is when the target signal is big enough to trigger the discrimination system.