Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How in the world do i Metal detect a soccerfield?

lilmax25

I really dont know. I dont want to mess the grass up and making the grass look all dead and whatnot. Any advice?

lilmax25,I have been involved in soccer as a coach, player,referee scheduler and also use to get stuck with fields maintenance.If the soccer fields you want to detect are well groomed I don't think they will allow you on the field with a metal detector.After a break for twenty years I played my first game last Sunday.These groomed soccer fields cost a lot of money to maintain and no matter how careful a hunter is the park will probably not be happy with you searching in their fields.

ok then what about the sidelines?

and its getting close to winter do the play in the winter?

Take nothing with you accept your metal detector, a well marked "TRASH BAG" and an "ICEPICK" to dig with. I've been "caught" in places that want me there, but when they "marked, trash bag" hanging
around my neck and are shown the ice pick that I dig with with and I say "when I get through digging up up a coin, NOBODY can find where I dug it up at" they usually just leave me alone. You can get very good with an ice pick. Dull it up a little so you don't scratch the coin, probe with it, you can tell a coin from any thing else after a while. Then slide your ice pick down beside the coin and wallow it back and forth beside the coin, stick your finger in the slot you just formed and gently pry out the coin. There's going to be a lot of cries over this "you could stick your finger" but I've used this technique for years on lawns and have never had a problem. But the "sue me, sue you" mentality that exists today beacons me to advise you not to do it :wiggle::wiggle::wiggle: There you go!

Sometimes its just best to pass up those well groomed places,, is it really worth the hassle of getting brow beat by someone,, and all it takes is one small messed up hole with some dirt around to ruin it,, I;d leave it alone,,

Coins/rings aren't deep, so just take along a screwdriver and a good electronic pinpointer. Most targets can be pinpointed using the electronic pinpointer, so now you just have to pop it out (after you physically probe it too) and move to the next target. Too deep for the probe? Again, pinpointer the best you can using your detectors search coil, then physically probe for the coin again using the screwdriver.

From my limited experience in the soccer fields I have done,

The side areas have the most stuff.

I tried in the playing field, but much less finds. Some targets

were too deep to dig and I felt uneasy about being in the well

kept grass.

I decided to limit my soccer field hunts to the side lines.

I did find some jewelry, but haven't done it enough to make up

my mind about how good they are.

I would guess that some are better than others.

Best way to know is to check it out.

I have stumbled on good places by trying places that I just

came upon.

I saw a trail going off into the woods and found a WW I training

camp.

I followed a trail off a main highway and found a Civil War Rebel

artillary installation. It is unknown as far as I can tell. I can not

find any reference to it anywhere.

After it was an artillary installation, there was a large steam

engine installed there. As big as a steam engine on a RR locomotive.

It was used to pump water in from an 18" steel reinforced concrete

pipe to the highest place close to the city at the time.

That gave watter pressure to the water system and the site is used

by the water department to this day.

I'm sorry!!!!:O

I just remembered that we are supposed to be talking about soccer fields.:huh:

Just an old man rambleing on.:blink:

Hope you don't mind,

Tabdog

I haven't had much success hunting the soccer field sidelines in my area, though I've read reports from people who claim to do well on them. And I definitely avoid the playing field.

Where I have had a fair amount of success is between the soccer fields and where the cars are parked and on the "path" to the Porta-Johns or restrooms. One day, after yet another disappointing attempt at the fields, I hunted back toward my truck and started hitting targets. After I got to the parking lot, I turned around, moved over and worked back toward the fields and found more. I know I'm not the first guy, or the only one, to hunt such areas, but before I stumbled onto it, it hadn't occurred to me. The coins are clad, but, what the heck, they spend just fine.

HH
Relic

I understand everyone's point.If there is no activity and they allow the field to die over winter,detect while the grass is dead.Let them know there will be no holes when you are gone.Here is one consideration.Our sports fields are gone over with a 6 inch areator every few weeks,so things get pushed down deep.Areator is the thing with spikes pulled behind a tractor/mower.

I hunt them all the time and they do produce well. I only use a screwdriver on these fields and some park guy's complain can't imagine why there my tax dollars being spent and when I look at the condition of the fields after they play the need to reseed and restore the fields is costly. There is no sign that I've been on the fields but I do remove a fair bit of trash. As for players not wearing jewellery they wind up putting it in there pockets and do lose it. Some fields become popular party places guess its OK to go get drunk or stoned at the sportsfield just don't metal detect. We do a great service to those fields picking up can shred,bottle caps,pulltabs that can cut and injure just my take on the subject.
Dan

Fields are used on evenings and weekends by the public playing soccer, touch football, throwing frisbees, etc. They all lose coins and jewelry.

Bill

The aerator tears it up more than a detector user ever could unless they were using a shovel. I've hunted them for decades.

Bill

Hay Bill,

I want to thank you guys for getting me started using a big screw driver.

I just love it. I use it all the time in grass now.

It took a while to get used to it.

I am supprised how often I can just pop it right out of the ground with no damage.

Although, if I'm not careful, I may strike a coin now and then. Usually when I'm tired.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

Found my first gold ring on a soccer field this past Mon. I was detecting on the side lines and found a Gold 14k ring.

Willy's right about the screwdriver. I heat them red hot and pound them a bit to widen them to about twice their original size, then point the end.
Makes a great 'popper'.
The places that have paid off best for me are the areas in front of the goals, around the center and along the sidelines. Along the sidelines use a small "sniper" coil as there is a lot of shallow trash. Also search along the foot paths and the funnel points at the parking areas.