Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How i "enlisted" in the U.S. Coast Guard for a day!

Ron J

Back in the early 90's i interviewed a gentleman,who was looking to advance his career as a technician.I hired Bob,as he was not just a rookie.he had some experience at an independent garage.Never employed at a dealership.He was mature,which isn't easy to find.In a short time,i realized his potential,and within a two year period,i was able to send him to enough factory training,he became a Nissan Master Tech.We became good friends.It happened he was also in the Coast Guard reserves.One or two weekends a month,he would be active at Coast Guard Station,Gloucester.I believe back then,he may have been in 15 yrs or more,and held the rank of CBM.He knew my attachment to the C.G.,because of my father's career,(30 years,active).Well one day,he asked if i would like to go on a patrol with him? What are you kidding? His Commander had approved,and the following Saturday,Myself,and my friend Tom,arrived early at the Station.CBM Bob,immediately treated us to a tour.In the Boathouse,was a "41" footer,in the sling,getting the hull scraped.Next to the Galley,for coffee.Now came the time,we entered the crews locker room,and got into "Mustangs" Bright orange insulated coveralls,like the rest of the crew.We were introduced to the rest of the crew,and felt at home.Didn't realized this was a real patrol,until one of the crew,asked "Chief,shall we wear are weapons?" Next Tom and i,followed the Chief to the dock.There he brought us on board the "47" (the 47 footer)and gave us a complete tour.He knew every inch of her,and she was spotless.Time to leave the dock,Tom and i were on the bridge,with the Helmsman,and a second Chief.Man this was GRRREATT! We left Gloucester Harbor,and Tom and i felt like Kings!!We headed for Salem Harbor,past Magnolia,Manchester,past Bakers Island into Beverly Harbor.Along the way,Chief Bob,was showing us various equipment,and how its related to rescue,and various duties.I gotta tell ya,entering Beverly Harbor on that vessel felt totally different than being on your on boat.This baby means "Authority" all the way!You could feel it! After leaving Beverly,we headed into Salem Harbor,towards Marblehead,around the islands,just cruising.Don't remember how many knots she could do,but it felt great.Tom and i now these waters well,and been out here thousands of times,but not like this!With the Mustangs on,we felt like part of the crew.Finally we returned to port,and back to being a civilian.We couldn't of thanked the crew,and Chief Bob,enough! We shall never forget that ride.Heres the patrol boat we were on.[attachment 41036 ScannedImage-69.jpg] CBM Bob,did me another Huge favor another time.When my father passed two years later,Bob,got me a direct connection,to have 3 Coasties,attend my Dads funeral,and presented me with the flag! Bob isn't employed at the dealer any longer,moved on with life,I think he went active for 2 years,that time may be up soon,but he was still out of Gloucester. This may have come about because of 9/11! We are still good friends,and always will be.

n/t

n/t

what your friend did for you at your dad's passing was most touching! That's what true friends are made of! Enjoyed your adventure and the photo, Ron! :)

We have a Canadian Coast Guard docking fifteen minutes from here in the historic town of Amherstburg. Rich in War of 1812 history. We often see their boat(s) out on the Detroit river. I've often thought that that would've been a great way to earn a living. No four walls staring at you all the time. Great experience I'm sure Ron. Thanks for sharing it !:beers:

Those guys have to have a thrilling life! I was once on St Thomas in the Virgin Islands and saw a Coast Guard boat tied up at a dock. There is a station there. I always wondered who you had to kill to get a station like that!!

Thanks for the post buddy:thumbup:

HAY ,Brother,the crash boat the old man had at the cape,P.town,was 63ft. and do all of 45 knots and i spend all of the summer of 47 0n it.Eat,sleep, and go like the devil. Nice story and great picture.

n/t