Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do your deep nickels sound?

I know this has been discussed over and over but lately i've actually been hitting a lot of nickels some being silver or buffalos. This is the first time ever I have hit so many consecutive nickels and i think i see a number pattern now. Usually when I get a "00" in the ferous numbers like 00 07 or 00 09 it's usually a nickel. But for those who have dug old nickels like buffalo/v-nickels/shield nickels do you get these "00" type of numbers? or do the numbers change due to the depth of the coin because it's old?

Thanks, Tayor

Low Fluty sound

Ive found several of the old deep nickels will hit in the lower right corner of the screen .... around 00 07 or 05. Note the Conductive number is fairly consistant with a nickel. Depending on what you are running in... cond or ferr as to what they sound like. But most are bouncy and sound kind of like a deep pull tab. They also may bounce from just below their normal position on the smartscreen to that location.

Dew

I've mentioned this before, but nickels have so distinct of sound on my XS that it actually stops me in my tracks. Deep nickels sound no different than shallow nickels, but the deeper ones seem to bounce across the bottom more. One of the only problems I have is that a folded beaver tail at 2 inches sounds /shows exactly like a real nickel does at 4 inches. I have to dig it. An un-bent beaver tail sounds good, but the cursor often drops below the bottom line when I sweep over it several times - nickels rarely do. I've NEVER used the numbers so I don't know what they read.

Hello Tayor,

Silver nickels will ID different, Anywhere from 5 up to Indian penny range. The reason is, The Magnesium alloy will break down over time. Not visually, but internally. The elements of time, weather, cold, heat? or whatever the reason a buried silver nickel's ID will eventually change, I believe the Magnesium alloy clauses this change and that's because the hard elements of mother nature creates this change.

That's my theory, No other coin in our history used Magnesium as an alloy. Eventually it breaks down internally if exposed to the harsh elements of nature....Scan your silver nickel finds and you'll see a difference, They will ID different.

Under the right conditions, Being is you're in the right area it is much easier to get an old Shield, Liberty, Buffalo or even an old non-silver Jefferson nickel than it is a war-time silver nickel. For those that put in the effort of mastering the recovery of deep nickel signals will find this true, Deep nickels are easy to find once the Explorer user gets dialed in.

I use ferrous mode, So deep nickels sound the same as a deep penny/dime signal. It takes time and patience to reduce your trash ratio, Eventually you'll get to were you're digging minimum trash and digging gobs of old nickels.

Get in the habit of shifting from cursor screen to digital, To check your nickel signal that is. I hunt in cursor and when I feel a nickel signal is beneath my coil quickly shift to digital, If it's a solid (6) I go for it. If it's a 5 or 7 I will dig it only if it's an extremely old site.

I can share more but it will only confuse you, For now see if this helps.

Take care, Paul (Ca)

thank you everyone for the advice! I followed my deep instinct yesterday and managed my first V Nickel! :yo:It was dateless but idc what a great first for me. It read like 00 09 90% of the time and was dead solid reading at 6-7 inches. Next goal: Shield Nickel :rofl: