Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you test black sand? With a magnet?

Deese

I was detecting in a park and my detector was acting funny. All the holes I dug have black sand in the first 8-12 inches then clean light colored sand below. This park has alot of trees in it,could the black just be from the decomposing vegetation discoloring the sand? Or could it be black sand? How would I tell?

Yes, a magnet will attract black sand if it's black from iron minerals. At least this has been my experience when detecting in upstate NY. Here in Florida we have some black sand but it's ground up fossil material and is not magnetic at all.