Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How deep would you dig?

Buddysox

The other day Ron Y and I got together for a hunt at my favorite park. During a break we were talking and I told him that I had seen an article about a type of ground radar that would go four meters down and give a visual representation of whats down there. I remarked to him that with the technology we have now I believed that soon we should have detectors that would go much deeper and with increased accuracy. Ron looked at me and said that accuracy would be fine but say, more than two feet of depth would be a waste. He explained that most of us go for coins and jewlery and the places we hunt, Parks and private property, usually would not allow for digging that deep. His answer somwhat surprised me because he's right! I then imagined that I hit a dime target at three feet. Dig or no dig? Thats a lot of digging for target that might just be a Roosie Dime. Not to mention the dirt pile the parks guy would be frowning at. I guess there is a limit to how deep we dig and where at under A particular circumstance. How about all you other guys? How deep and for what would you dig? Your thoughts please.

A lot might depend on the area you hunt. Relic hunters would love to know whats down there. Coin hunters on the other hand, below 2 feet would be a surprising coin. Like you said once we get the tech. then we will have to find a better way to dig or our days are numbered at the parks and such. I can just see a beach with that kind of tech in the hands of a beginner that just dont care.... and thinks... its the beach people dig here all the time.

Dew

And I thought that detector prices were already getting out of hand. :hot: Can only imagine how much they would want for something like that?

I'd probably not dig past 16 inches in parks because by the time I get that deep the digging gets tougher, the probability of a good target falls and I just don't know where to put all that dirt and still leave a neatly filled hole when I'm done. On private property, my dreaming of a cache would probably keep me going if the signal was good. Aside from caches, I don't think there would be many good targets unless the ground was disturbed.

Mark