Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Deep will the T2 really go in good soil

Terry

We recently discovered a country school (1893 - 1967) that has been untouched by any metal detectors. I have two machines, a mine lab XS and a T2. We were there for only 1/2 hour and I pulled out 6 silver coins and 8 pennies, the oldest going back to the 30"s and the newest being 1962. Every coin I found was at the bottom of the plug which was between six and eight inches. I was using the mine lab XS and soil is quite sandy and moist with the melting snows. I was just wondering if the T2 would go deeper using Thomas Dankowski's program for the T2 ( disc setting 0, sensitivity Max, two or three tone ) There has to be older coins there but I think they are deeper. Any suggestions for either machine for the deepest detecting would be appreciated.

You may be very surprised....

the xs should go deeper than a sovereign and i haven't been able to find any thing with the t-2 that my sovereign missed. the lighter weight on the t-2 is great and on new sites the depth should be pretty close.

Thanks ....I'm of the same opinion. I used to have one of the first sovereigns and I know that was the deepest machine I've ever seen. I was just wondering if someone would give me an idea on how deep the T2 can really go in good soil.

The deepest coin I have found with my T2 since I purchased it last October was an Indian Head Cent, which was 11 inches deep. The site was on an old tobacco farm in Connecticut. The soil was black, organic soil with no rocks in it. The mineralization meter showed 0 bars and I don't remember what the ground balance number was but I just used fast grab to balance the machine. The VDI showed a very consistent 82 with a loud, clear, repeatable audio signal. I believe the machine settings were 70 sens, 10 discrim, 2+ tones. I had previously hunted this area with a Garrett GTI 1500 and an Explorer XS. Its not to say I know that I went over this target with either machine before I found it with the T2 but just about all of the targets I did find with the T2 that day were at least 8 inches deep so my assumption was that the other machines had cleared out the more shallow targets. The 11 inches was what the depth reading on the T2 showed, and also looked right by visually estimating the depth of the hole. The coin wasn't in the plug - it was in the center of the hole and I had to remove soil after pulling the plug out so I don't think that the coin had fallen out of the side of the hole as I cut about another 2 inches of soil out of the bottom of the hole after locating the target with a pinpointer. The coin was in the 2 inch clump of soil I cut out of the bottom of the hole.

Thank you Steve. I was thinking about using those exact settings and I wanted to find out what depth people were getting. The soil I'm hunting in is very clean and I believe the older coins are deep due to the fact that all I was finding were the 1930's coins and I know the school goes back to the 1890's.

If good soil crank up that sens to 90 or so, until it starts to talk back to you. It will make a big depth difference!

Semperf161, what is the composition of those coins? they really look good. When you say "Right out of the box," do you mean factory pre-set modes/settings? Nice and very deep finds!!!:thumbup: HH jim tn

Thanks Dan, I've got a few options I'm going to try out next week and I'm going to document all of them. I'll record my findings for all the options in this string.

It is'nt all about depth with the T2,it also has an amazing ability to pick coins out from amongst the iron....this is why it is such a good machine.It will keep up with almost anything on the market in the depth stakes and it will beat almost anything as far as searching in the trash goes.I can say in all honesty that i've only owned one detector that can pip the T2 for overall performance......it's all in the name!!!!!