Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Deep Will The Old Coins Go,Clad Dimes At 7"

Dean Stone

Hi All, I found a park that is at 75 years old, for I found A 1967 Dime At 7". I had a friend measure it for me, and still no silver. The soil is sandy and ease to dig that must be why all older coins are deep. I Have a mxt and turn it to max.That is how i get the coins.I know it can,t be cherry picked can it? Is There a way to get just silver and not clad dimes and quarters? If you can help please do Thinks Flintstone.

I don't know why you would not want to find the clad, after all thats what helps pays for your hobby. I have found silver at old sites a lot shallower than 7 inches so its not all found at great depths. I just dig everything and hope for silver and gold and I never pass up a clad coin. HH Dennis in Idaho

I agree with Dennis, there is allot more clad out there then silver or gold. Dig every thing and hope for the best.

On one of the forums several weeks back, a fellow posted that he'd dug a key date penny that is worth around $70. So think twice before passing them up and a hundred of them still equals a dollar. Considering that they are the coin that most won't search for very hard when dropped, just as well dig'em when we're out in my opinion.
BB

Some of the old parks have been redone. Areas have had new dirt brought in and other areas had it taken out. I used to watch guys hunting areas of the park that used to be covered with a pond. The front of the park is 120 years old but many people don't know the back section of the park is only 40 years old. So it's hard to say how deep the old silver is located. Was it cherry picked, probably. Is there a way to get only silver, I don't know a way. Good luck. Rob

Sliver dimes here usually run i think 83 regular dimes 80 82 and same with quarters a number up from reg and old pennies run different numbers than newer clad,Have to watch your numbers on what you dig and check numbers not positive all the time but you will notice a different number for older coins in sliver and copper than newer of same denomination.

Dennis and Barber Bill are right! You need to dig them all. I've found old silver coins as shallow as 2 inches, maybe less. Last year I dug an 1867 EF Indian Cent. You can check that one in your book. :yikes: If I wasn't digging all types of signals, I wouldn't have that one. Most silver dimes run at 80+ and 79 for the thin ones on my MXT. Good luck, Nancy

Dig it all! (If you don't you'll be missing out on most of the self education.) Thing about old coin is they vary in depths to the max. I have found a couple place that barbers are at less than two inches! Many things influence target depth. Coins do sink but not as much as you'd think. Grass clippings and dead vegetation build added topsoil, freeze/thaw cycle can bring stuff closer to the surface and just plane old dust build up can increase the depth of a target. Couple months ago I went back to a place (across he state) I detected as a kid. Depths had not increase that much in areas I was very familiar with. In a local spot here, there is almost no sinking or "ground build" as the area is under a forested canopy with no ground vegetation or debris to speak of. Large object stay practically on top and the deepest coin I find is at about 2.5". (Have had a few date back to the turn of the century.)
Clad coinage was composed to very closely match (if not duplicate) the metallic reading of silver coinage for the vending industry...so for the most part have same to similar readings with spiking to higher VDI's. One thing that old silver can do is spike the other direction (into penny) because of the copper alloy leaching out into a strong halo. Those coins come out with a very white powdery look.

Thinks All, I try to dig as much as I can, but I have a broken back and after it starts to get to me I just dig good targets. I know I am missing alot but can,t help it.I know there must be good silver there some place. I can,t believe that new coins are that deep. so silver must be 10". I am going to put my 9.5 coil on my old eagle 2 sl and see if i can get down to it. Thinks again good luck to all. Flintstone

I have a few questions for you Flintstone. 1. What do you consider a good target? 2. What makes you think the silver is at 10 inches? 3. Why would your old Eagle with 9.5 coil work better than the MXT in getting down to the silver you say is at 10 inches? :confused: HH Dennis in Idaho

Hi steelheadfever, It,s not that i don,t dig just about every target,but at this park dimes from 67, 68, 70s are all down about 7". I have got about $8.00 in clad in just 2 hunts of about 31/2 hr hunts. I know there is more than just clad there. I found a plack that had a name and 1933 beside a tree that must have been planted at that time. So what i was think that i clad money was that deep that older silver must be deeper.I have only found one wheat and it was just 2" deep but that was next to a tree. #2 someone had said that the 6.59 would go deeper on silver, and the 9.5 coil would be deeper than a 5.3 for the mxt. I don,t know I just try what ever I can. I would think i would find a silver coin sometime with all that clad at that deep.If you have any help please let me know. I don,t think the park has been hunted much I have never seen anyone in my 57 years around here with a detector. Thinks All Flintstone