Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How about fresh water lakes, boat launches, rivers etc

allison

Hi Guys (and gals) I recently bought an Excal 1000. We live on an inland lake in northwestern Michigan. From what I read here most of you are on the ocean. Do any of you search inland lakes, rivers, streams, public beaches, boat launches? These are the areas available to me up here. Also we live only 2 miles from Lake Michigan, so have those beaches etc. Just wondering if techniques are the same and if there are those who have been successful in our area.
So far I am learning the detector, experiencing some frustration but also finding some change, odds and ends and getting motivated to get a big hit soon. I have to figure out how fast to move, how to pin point targets to reduce digging. How to discriminate materials etc.
No clubs up here that I know of so I am learning all on my own - the slow way. I always appreciate suggestions and help.
Al Amstutz
Beulah, Mi

I think I've talked to you before on this board. Here's what I can answer for you.

Small Lake swimming areas:
Not much wave action, and of course, no tides. Targets usually stay where they're dropped, and will gradually work their way deeper into the bottom. I seem to have the best luck at about chest-deep, or out at the buoys. Of course, those are usually heavy men's rings. If you hunt the shallows, where the little toddlers wade and splash, you can find thin women's rings with stones, as this is known as the "mommy zone".

Rivers:
Depends on bottom make-up. I don't mind hunting with a bottom of sand/gravel mix. If I hit muck, I back off. ALWAYS search a river facing upstream, as you never know when something big could some floating down and hit you. Do some research to find areas of rivers that would have seen use, as either a swimming hole, canoeing/boating area, or possibly a bridge that people chuck wedding bands off after a failed marriage or a fight. I find that in addition to a scoop, a floating sifter is a requirement, to make it easier to recover targets.

Great Lake beaches:
The only difference between these beaches and saltwater beaches are 1) It's freshwater, and 2) No tides. You WILL get surf, rip currents, blowouts, holes, etc. If you decide to hunt these beaches, learn to read the beach, and keep your eyes open. Make sure that if you have anything attached to you, that it can be easily disconnected. Last year, somewhere up in your area, we lost a water hunter when he stepped off into a 11' deep hole and drowned.

Do some checking. I'm not totally positive, but I think there's a club in Grand Rapids. Not sure how far that is from you.

I do know that another poster on this board, who goes by "Jackpine Savage", is in your area somewhere.

Thanks Allen, I have all the types of areas you mentioned available within just a couple of miles. I still need to "master" the detector but am finding some change and some junk (some of which is interesting.
I appreciate your advice and counsel.
AL

Allen gave you some great advice. If you don't have one already, get a long handled scoop. The Platte should be good in areas and the Interlochen area (used to live there) is also well worth a try (Long, Green and Duck lakes). Its all good up here. :biggrin:

HH
Tom

Since you're a little further up North than I am, you might want to consider a wet or dry suit to help keep you warm.

Thanks, I have a wet suit and booties that will take me to late fall.
Not sure what I will do in winter.
AL