Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Houston Lee Braly Jr., a Texan, died in France on August 2, 1944..............

Kelley (Texas)

"People came to honor him" by Jonathan Gurwitz
San Antonio Express-News, 5/25/07

On Aug. 2, 1944, Houston Lee Braly Jr., a native of the Central Texas town of Brady, flew a routine patrol over Nazi-occupied France with the 383rd Fighter Squadron. Over the village of Remy, 70 miles northeast of Paris, the P-51 Mustang pilots spotted a German munitions train. The train was carrying highly combustible fuel for Hitler's V2 rockets. During Braly's strafing run, the train exploded, knocking his plane from the air.
In April 1945, as the war in Europe drew to a close, Roy Blaha

It is located about two hours from here and I think that I will ride up there one Saturday morning...should be interesting. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

it only right to send this letter to the parents. If nothing else, it gave them closure, and the assurance that their son died with dignity and honor, and was very well liked. Once again, even in learning of the story behind their son's death, it had to have made them proud!

As I write this, Nate is not on a plane headed back to Germany, from his past leave. We will not see him again until November of this year. Amazing how he has changed, and matured which usually happens to young me after being active in the military, and while I have a hard time with him being away, perhaps in some way this experience is teaching him many things. Most of all, just how important a family's love who will never rest a minute, until we know he is safely returning from Kosovo. Upon his arrival in November, he will go back to VMI, finish his school, and has decided now not to make a career out of the military. For this, with this awful war, I breathe a breath of relief and just pray each night for his safe return.

I tell him all the comments you all make on the forum regarding him, and he says thank you for all your remards and prayers. :) Thank You!

After the war, my father went back to his civilian life and tried to adapt as best he could. And to a large extent, he succeeded. However, after my mother died, there was a period of dark times for him.

During the early 60s, he took a trip back to Belgium, where he saw some pretty intense service while in the war. When he went to one small village in Belgium, he was honoured and feted like a hero. [which he was]. However, when he was there, a young lady came up to him and threw her arms around him and asked if he remembered her. And yes he did. During one of the battles that were raging in and around the village, my father saved this young girls'[ at that time she was a young girl] life by 'intervening' [her words] between her and the Germans. I only found out about this when she came over to Canada and visited us for a spell and she talked to me and related this story.

This must have helped him resolve some of those conflicts in my father. For a time he was more relaxed and personable. In time, as I have told before, we got into fights and eventually resolved our differences... [Alice helped me out mightily] but I always remember the look in this young ladies eyes and on her face when she was telling me her story.

So while the governments and politicians may bluster and rail against your and my country, remember that the people remember..... and they are grateful.

Calm seas, fair winds, sunny skies

Mikie

What I wouldn't give to spend a few afternoons listening to the stories first-hand of our vets. That's where the rubber hits the road. BTW......things should get interesting in France. They recently elected a pro-American leader.:thumbup:

n/t

n/t