Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Hot" Branding Iron for my cattle...............

Kelley (Texas)

This is a photo of my "Hot" Branding Iron that I took a few minutes ago on the kitchen table to the dismay of Debbie. I put a towel under it so that it would not scratch the table. My brand "FK" is registered in Gonzales County, Texas and has been since about 1985 when Texas passed a law that stated that if you brand your cattle, your brand had to be registered in any county where you owned cattle. Our ranch in Gonzales County was pretty isolated with the nearest neighbor several miles away, thus it was wise to brand the cattle in hopes that if any were stolen they could be located if sold through an auction.

This branding iron is what is known as a "hot" branding iron because you heated it in a fire and then branded the cow. You had to be careful when using this method because if you left the branding iron on the cow too long the brand would not be readable. Many folks are now branding their cows using a method that is known as "cold" branding. "Cold" branding involves the use of dry ice instead of a fire. This method does not scar like "hot" branding, instead it causes the hair to turn a light color where the branding iron touches the hide.

We always branded the calves at approximately the 205 day mark, when we would also weigh the calves and give vacinations. During this week, lots of time was spent in the saddle flushing calves out of the brush.

I hope that I have not confused you in regards to branding cattle. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)