Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hospital Point Light house.... Open house today!!

Ron J

I have posted photo's of this location before, of the outside... I read in the papers Saturday, that because of "Beverly Homecoming Week" that the Coast Guard would have an open house on Sunday,and Monday! In past years,i usually read this after the fact! So this morning i did a little electrical wiring on my Pontoon boat,and made it a point,to hop on my Roadstar,at Eleven o'clock,and ride the ten minutes to Hospital Point Light,an hour early.Didn't know if this tour would be packed or what. I parked right alongside the location,and enjoyed the Harbor view.[attachment 64146 HospitalPoint037.jpg] Other people started to show up,and a few had conversations. I was speaking to couple,when a woman drove up,and asked where you locate the boat,to the lighthouse? We spoke up,and replied "Boat? Why? The Lighthouse is right here!" She was thrilled! She parked,and joined the party. Now uniformed Coast Guard and CG Auxilary showed up,and we watched them set up,a small counter,and police the area for trash etc. A few minutes before twelve,they started to inform us,the grounds are open,and to please limit the group to five at a time to enter,and climb the Light. I couldn't wait,i had missed this opportunity to many times over the years,but here i am! A little History is needed here..The Light is brick,and constructed in 1872. A lighthouse was responsible for lighting the towers oil lamp.Would think it was whale oil.The Oil storage shed.[attachment 64149 HospitalPoint025.jpg] This was used until in 1916,the source became incandescent oil vapor. Don't even think of asking me,what the h3ll that is...:D The light became under the jurisdiction of the Coast Guard,when the Light Service was intregated into the military in 1939. During WWll the keepers home was barracks to 20 men! After the War,in 1947,the Light was automated,and the keeper's home, designated as Quarters to the Commander,First Coast Guard District. This Gentleman or Lady (last commander was a Woman)is responsible for more than 5800 C.G.members, from the New Jersey Coast, also Mass,Maine,N.H.,Rhode Island,Vermont,Conn.,and New York! I think they serve two yr tours.[attachment 64147 HospitalPoint039.jpg][attachment 64148 HospitalPoint019.jpg][attachment 64150 HospitalPoint038.jpg][attachment 64151 HospitalPoint016.jpg] Rj

I just got confused when the light house photo did not show much of a house behind it. What is the bell used for?

Are any of the old homes and lighthouses reported to be haunted?

I always enjoy these sea picture stories...thanks for posting them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

If you did, could you tell what type of lens[es] it had? Was the unit mounted in mercury? Or is it newer than that?

Nice series

calm seas

mikie