Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Horse story: The night "Boozer" saved my hide.....................

Kelley (Texas)

When I was fourteen years old, I spent a lot of free time over at Mr. Ferguson's place doing odd chores in exchange for riding some of his horses. He had a big bay horse by the name of "Boozer" that I loved to ride. I had the run of the place, could ride anytime I wanted, but the agreement was that I would have to be available to help him when he needed an extra hand. He would pay me fair wages in addition to letting me ride any of his horses.

One afternoon when I arrived home from school, Mother told me that Mr. Ferguson had called and needed me over at his place as soon as possible. One of his horses had run through a fence trying to escape from some stray dogs and had evidently been cut up pretty bad. Mr. Ferguson had tried to catch the horse, but it had escaped and headed towards the back of his property. Now this was indeed a problem because Mr. Ferguson had almost 7,000 acres of ranch land.

Without wasting time, I saddled up "Boozer," grabbed a halter and tied a rope to the saddle. As I headed out, Mr. Ferguson told me to be careful because there were some bad thunderstorms heading our way.

I soon found where the horse had gone through the fence...lots of blood. This did not look good, I envisioned that this horse was probably dead by now from loss of blood. I headed east and after several hours, finally spotted the horse...he was alive, but cut pretty bad. As I approached him, he took off at a dead run, heading for the area that we called the bluffs. It was at this time that I heard the thunder, and saw the lightning in the distance...I had to act fast in catching that horse.

As it was getting dark, I finally cornered the horse in a ravine and got the halter on him. He had a deep cut on his chest that was going to have to be sewed up, and it did disturb me that he was still bleeding. However, a new problem of greater concern was developing, it started raining...thunder and lightning all around us. I found a rock overhang and sought shelter there for us. To add to the problem was the fact that it was now dark and I was on a part of the ranch that was not too familiar to me. I had to make a decision, stay put or try to get this injured horse back to the ranch house. I elected to get the horse to the ranch house for treatment.

I left the ravine and headed in what I thought was the direction to the ranch house, but it did not take long for me to realize that I was confused and really did not know which way to go. I was lost! This was rough country, not some place that you would want to be lost in at night, especially in a bad thunderstorm with a hurt horse!

"Boozer" was also adding to the problem...he was giving me a hard time, he would balk, dance around, just made my problem worst. He had never acted this way before, but then again I had never rode him in a thunderstorm before.

Between lightning flashes, I saw a wide open area that appeared to have an opening in the rocks at the far end. I put "Boozer" into a trot and headed for the opening. As I got near the opening, "Boozer" became almost uncontrolable...really started to balk. Then I saw it...that was not an opening to a trail, but it was a bluff. I had come so close to riding off a bluff, and "Boozer" had sensed the danger.

It was at this time that I realized that the reason that "Boozer" was giving me a hard time was because he knew where home was and I was heading in the wrong direction. I made the decision to give "Boozer" a free rein, time to trust my horse to take me home.

That was the best decision I could have made, three hours later we topped a hill and I saw the ranch house lights. As we approached the house, I saw several cars parked there...one was a sheriff's car, another was my Dad's pickup truck. I did not realize it, but it was 2:30 in the morning. A search party was being formed to look for me. I was embarrassed and figured that I was in big trouble.

My Father hugged me, then gave me hell for continuing to look for the injured horse when I should have come back to the ranch house and waited for morning. I was wet and cold, wanted something hot to drink, but "Boozer" was going to be taken care of first. I took him to the barn, wiped him down, put him in a dry stall, and gave him a couple of flakes of hay. That horse saved me from riding off a bluff and possibly death. That horse was a hero! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

This is the type of terrain that I rode in that night!
[attachment 16935 MVC-202S2.jpg]

.....it also brings up a sad story from my city.Two teenagers going home from a party decided to walk through the local raveen.They were good kids and knew the raveen path well,but they walked through it at night.It was in news a few weeks ago,they both went over a bluff and were both killed.It appears that no warning signs were ever placed to warn people.The paths look harmless but they are next too a bluff. ojm

about horses and they are real favorites of mine.
Thank you for taking the time to tell this story, i know how a good horse can save a persons butt!
Wayne

but you did some quick thinking fred,man i hate being out in lightning,i have to remind myself not to tense up because it doesn't do any good,and try to relax.

bet you were worried about flash flooding too,heck of a story.did mr.ferguson give you a couple of extra dollars:biggrin:.i've ridden several stable horses and man they do know the way home:lol:.

I am not a natural writer and scramble my stories...after I post the story, I often discover things that I left out and/or sometimes I condense some parts of the story when I should not do so. Unfortunately, when in school, shop was more important to me than English class. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

but I was more scared of being lost in that rough terrain and having to spend the night out there with a hurt horse that needed medical attention. I do not remember Mr. Ferguson paying me as per se for that night, but I was more thankful that my Father did not take about two inches off my hide.

You know something, I can not remember the name of that hurt horse. I had ridden that horse several times before it ran through that fence, but I just can not remember it's name. Mr. Ferguson was always good to me, always let me ride his horses. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

....my older brother is a bussiness man,one of his bussiness is owning or managing a few race horses.A few summers ago his horse ran into bad trouble.I know very little about horses,well what happened is during a fireworks celebration in the city..it broke it's leg in the barn scared from the noise of fireworks.

I think he sued but never asked yet if he won or not but I dought he won.It was a good horse too boot,no idea what happened next I guess by now you gathered I'm not too close to older brother.But we are in good terms I guess the age differance was the cause of us not being too close. ojm

mad at you,sometimes when we worry about someone we loves welfare,we get angry at them for putting us through the paces.

fred,i get in to big a hurry and don't relax and let the story flow,therefore i miss some of the details,i think i'll try to remind myself of that next time:).

that buried the loot in Stanley Park. Have you ever looked for it? By some chance, did you find it and don't want to tell anyone? :lol: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

many times after i post a story i wish i had took more time, or created it in a word file and worked on it for a while. I find your stories to be easily followed and interesting!
It does not matter much anyway, the folks on here are, like me i'm sure, just quite happy to hear a good true to life story:thumbup:
Wayne

you are certainly not alone,thinking its difficult. Turn on the "ol Memory bank",take a few notes,put them in order of events,and start writing!! The memory's will start flowing,and suddenly your story is completed. Just write it,like your talking to your FRIENDS!! Great story! RJ

what it was like out there that night. I thought for sure that you were gonna get yourself caught up in a flash flood in one of those gullys.

How old were you at the time. I can imagine too your fathers worry.

Thanks for the story Fred!! Man you are getting to be quite a story writer!! I guess that should be author. :D

Don't for a second think these ranch story's are not interesting to us northern boys.!!

Sometimes as you well know, our animals have a lot more sense than we do! Glad "Boozer" was watchin out for ya!

Dave

I'll bet that you and he were great friends after that. That was a very enjoyable story Fred. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Lil Brother:)

We have seen some similar examples of where horses know more than us. Nothing as dramatic as your story ....but impressive by any standard.

Sunny skies, calm seas

M

point in your life did you get horses of your own? Did you have them as a child, or after you were grown??

Boozer did save your life, and I can see why you have such great respect for horses! You were indeed lucky that night! Being only fourteen years old, I can see where your parents were pretty frightened! Boozer was a hero, but so were you! Did the horse that was cut survive?

Great story! :)