Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hope you all are having a happy and peaceful Christmas, and a little wisdom.............

Wayne in BC

This is the time of year when we think back to the very first Christmas, when the Three Wise Men went to see the baby Jesus and, according to the Book of Matthew, "presented unto Him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh."

These are simple words, but if we analyze them carefully, we discover an important, yet often overlooked, theological fact: There is no mention of wrapping paper.

If there had been wrapping paper, Matthew would have said so: "And lo, the gifts were inside 600 square cubits of paper. And the paper was festooned with pictures of Frosty the Snowman. And Joseph was going to throweth it away, but Mary saideth unto him, she saideth, 'Holdeth it! That is nice paper! Saveth it for next year!' And Joseph did rolleth his eyeballs. And the baby Jesus was more interested in the paper than the frankincense."

But these words do not appear in the Bible, which means that the very first Christmas gifts were NOT wrapped. This is because the people giving those gifts had two important characteristics:

1. They were wise.

2. They were men.

Men are not big gift wrappers. Men do not understand the point of putting paper on a gift just so somebody else can tear it off. This is not just my opinion: This is a scientific fact based on a statistical survey of two guys I know.

One is Rob, who said the only time he ever wraps a gift is "if it's such a poor gift that I don't want to be there when the person opens it."

The other is Bill, who told me he does wrap gifts, but as a matter of principle never takes more than 15 seconds per gift. "No one ever had to wonder which presents daddy wrapped at Christmas," Bill said. "They were the ones that looked like enormous spitballs."

I also wrap gifts, but because of some defect in my motor skills, I can never completely wrap them. I can take a gift the size of a deck of cards and put it the exact center of a piece of wrapping paper the size of a regulation volleyball court, but when I am done folding and taping, you can still see a sector of the gift peeking out. (Sometimes I camouflage this sector with a marking pen.)

If I had been an ancient Egyptian in the field of mummies, the lower half of the Pharaoh's body would be covered only by Scotch tape.

On the other hand, if you give my wife a 12-inch square of wrapping paper, she can wrap a C-130 cargo plane. My wife, like many women, actually likes wrapping things. If she gives you a gift that requires batteries, she wraps the batteries separately, which to me is very close to being a symptom of mental illness. If it were possible, my wife would wrap each individual volt.

My point is that gift-wrapping is one of those skills like having babies that come more naturally to women than to men.
That is why today I am presenting:

GIFT-WRAPPING TIPS FOR MEN:
* Whenever possible, buy gifts that are already wrapped. If, when the recipient opens the gift, neither one of you recognizes it, you can claim that it's myrrh.

* The editors of Woman's Day magazine recently ran an item on how to make your own wrapping paper by printing a design on it with an apple sliced in half horizontally and dipped in a mixture of food coloring and liquid starch.
They must be smoking crack.

* If you're giving a hard-to-wrap gift, skip the wrapping paper! Just put it inside a bag and stick one of those little adhesive bows on it. This creates a festive visual effect that is sure to delight the lucky recipient on Christmas morning:

YOUR WIFE: Why is there a Hefty trash bag under the tree?
YOU: It's a gift! See? It has a bow!
YOUR WIFE (peering into the trash bag): It's a leaf blower.
YOU: Gas-powered! Five horsepower!
YOUR WIFE: I want a divorce.
YOU: I also got you some myrrh.

In conclusion, remember that the important thing is not what you give, or how you wrap it. The important thing, during this very special time of year, is that you save the receipt.

n/t

i once put a gift for a girl inside a small fishing tacklebox, it was perfume:biggrin:
Had to chase her to the driveway to get her to open it! She had no sense of humor so i practiced catch and release with that one :rofl:

You have bestowed some of the wisest knowlege I have ever heard! I will print this and leave it somewhere where my wife can find it and read it! I saw no problem at all with that Case XX trapper with the stag handles carefully wrapped in that save a lot bag that I bought this Christmas for my wife.......kinda hurt my feelings that she did not appreciate all the effort I put into buying and wraping it.......heck that is one fine knife!:rofl: I would rate this post right up there with advise I have recieved from Fred in the past. :rofl::clap::rofl:

it also seems that the women in my life just don't understand that a new knife will way outlast and be much more useful than perfume (unless its scent masking ;)) or flowers, candy etc.:blink: Somebody just did not train them right!
I figure Fred should go into business, make huge money and be famous........"The Woman Whisperer" ....... then we could all proudly say that we knew him when he was just a darn good Cowboy and maybe he would give us a deal? :clapping::thumbup:

My wrapping skills are limited to zero. Yet, I'm lucky that Jane is easy to please with gifts. Neither of us in into fancy stuff that much.
We prefer dungarees and sweat shirts or T shirts in the summer. On many a Christmas she as asked for wheel barrels, brush nippers, pitch forks, new shovels etc. I've mentioned it to the sales people and they ask me if I'm nuts to give her that for Christmas. Nope, that's what she asked for, demanded in some cases, with even the brand. She does like the horse stuff and over the years we have pretty much run the tack shops in New England in our searches from CT, to NH, VT, MASS, RI....We know them all very well.

This year she was at the New England Equine Affair so she stocked up for Christmas and just brought it home and says , you got me these for Christmas. I wrap until she see's the mess I'm making and she even does that. Easiest woman to get along with I've ever met.
I still go out and search on my own for the unexpected surprises. Fact this year, I used her technical skills at shopping and went to a Motorcycle Shop called Excalibur. Found a real nice pair of riding boots for the road bike with Zipper sides etc. I did the same, Jane you bought me these, put them away until Christmas. I really like what I got me and she kept safely under warps. I started the bike today for 1/2 hour to drive the moisture out of it and charge the battery, even though I have a trickle charger on it. I just like to listen to it. Music to my ears. Still plenty of snow and ice here and sand on the roads so no chance of going out on it. Still pretty much have to sit out Jan, Feb, March before I can ride. Now if I could talk my daughter in to loading them both up and heading to Florida for mid winter, that could change, but she will be in school so thats not to likely.

Anyhow, you and Fred seem to have these women all figured out and offer some great tips. I was going to try Freds tip to Royal on cooking, but I didn't want to get it all upside my head so passed on that tip. I guess its all in the delivery....

Later Geo-CT

nobody notices that I collect them and use them the next year.

Great post as usual:thumbup:

I will take a package and cover it first with some newspaper, then cover it again with some brown paper from a large grocery sack, and then I will put the fancy wrapping paper on it...use lots of tape. I like to run the scotch tape the entire length of the package and then do the same thing on the ends. This makes for a tamper proof wrapping, one that someone can not peel back the wrapping to take a peep to see what the gift might be. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

rolling down my face. I could picture a gift wrapped by each one of you.

Cowboy, I can see the wads of Scotch tape wrapped round and round your present.

and Don't kid yourself Royal, we do notice the same bag from last year, but it really doesn't matter as long as the tag is still on it TO MOM ! :lol:

George, I also ask for practical gifts like Jane. I do not wear sheer night gowns trimmed in feathers, but get me the best hedge trimmers they make, and I am really excited.

I was even impressed with OJ's duct tape. Makes the opening of the gift really exciting and suspensful.

The one thing I do hate though, is when a couple says "lets not buy each other anything for Christmas this year". That's what happened to me, and I really got my feelings hurt. I started to go ahead and give Scott his gift,(just in case he really did have something for me, which he didn't) but then I thought of HIS feelings and didn't want him to have HIS feelings hurt or be embarressed. But when I took it back for a full refund, it made me sad.

I could understand if I was a hard person to buy for, but to me, a gift..........no matter how expensive or inexpensive just says I thought of you and I love you.

So remember that guys,.............it doesn't take much to make a woman happy, but nothing at all can hurt her feelings for a long long time!

You guys give me the feeling of friendship, love and laughter...............that's why I always come running back to you!

Wayner, your post was priceless! :cheekkiss: