Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hoof in face!!! Part two.........

Wayne in BC

As my eyes recovered from the recoil i saw the Moose laying flat and unmoving, mentally congratulated myself for hitting the back of the long neck perfectly while i trotted down the hillside to my quarry some 30 yards away.

I stared down at the Moose happily and hearing a sound, turned with a big grin on my face to see Grant only 20 feet away and coming from my right side. In an instant he raised his rifle to his shoulder and in one motion fired while my eyes bugged out in horror and incomprehension! The muzzle blast shocked me into paralysis! I did not know why i had not not fallen down as i was sure i was dead while wondering why on earth my friend had killed me!

The next thing i remember was Grant saying....never turn your back on one of those suckers buddy! Now my mind was clearing some and i realised that i had heard a "splat/whack" sort of thing.....which was the 180 grain bullet from Grant's 06 splattering the head of the Moose who had risen up and was aiming a deadly hoof at my head! It still took some time for me to sort out my thoughts and remember movement as i turned, but it had happened so fast that my brain focused only on the rifle coming up.

Grant had approached and as he drew near he saw me turn as i heard him only now, the moss and damp leaves underfoot muffling his footfalls. At that moment he saw the Moose rise up part way and immediately draw a front leg back for what he knew to be a possible killing blow apparently aimed at my head! He acted....

Moose although seemingly big clumsy creatures are faster than one would ever suspect and have often been known to kill a wolf by driving a heavy sharp pointed hoof right through its rib cage! It is done much like a Karate blow, but even faster! It appeared that he was aiming right at me in that split second, but in fact his rifle was pointed a few feet to my left and his fast reaction, cultivated by many years of dealing with animals on the trap line and farm bore sweet fruit in saving my sorry butt! I have never known a person other than Grant who could or would react that quickly, making the right decision in a heartbeat. I knew what i had done wrong but......

We turned to butchering our Moose into quarters that we could carry between us on a pole over our shoulders. That was a nasty job as usual and it took nearly three hours before it was stowed in the truck and we went looking for another one. While we were doing this we looked in vain for my bullets path. There were no marks on the neck or any other part of the body! How come that critter had dropped like a stone if i missed? Only when dealing with splitting the hindquarters did i see a bloodshot area on the last 8 inches of spine from the base of the tail forward. Because the Moose had been running away and moving up and down, my bullet had, instead of hitting the base of the neck, gone low and entered maybe 2 inches above the little hole under the tail that drops those "chocolate Almonds" that Royal likes so much:lol:

The 130 grain 270 bullet had travelled directly into the base of the spine, destroying about 8 inches of vertebrae and instantly dropping as well as temporarily paralyzing the animal. The wound was pretty much invisible. It had regained its sense and risen only on its front legs while cocking one back to defend itself, which i did not see, but Grant did.

Hope you all enjoyed a laugh at my expense, we still reminisce about that incident and a few others which i may remember soon........

Many years ago, when I was about 16 I guess, I was invited to go deer hunting with my buddy Larry and his Dad.

The first day up there his dad got a buck. The next day he went out again, he was only allowed one deer a season but told Larry that he would fill one of our lisences if he could. Heck it would have been a miracle for us to get one.

That evening we all met at camp and Jim, Larrys dad said he had gotten another for Larry and it had been running straight away. He said he had drilled it in the bunghole! I forget how far a shot it was but in mid Michigan it probably was not a long shot, as it is very brushy.

He said he had just snapped shot the thing with his 300 Savage and saw it drop in a hollow. He just walked back to camp to get us because he had no tag for it.

We followed Jim to the kill and there was not a mark on it. We could not see a hole anywhere.

Jim bent over and proceeded to gut that bad boy and what a bloody and smelly mess. He HAD drilled it in the butthole and that slug had sturred everything up pretty bad as it traveled from butthole to lung!

If you gotta shoot a critter, that is not the place to hit it!! :D

You are a fine writer Wayne!!

The one I nailed a while back did pretty much the same thing. I was not close enough to get hit........ but it did take two rounds to put him down. And I thought the first would have done it.

Most people do not know.. But in newfoundland, a bull moose in rut will take on a freight train. The engineers have seen, many times, a moose running full blast at the train. There is of course, only one winner. But it shows their determination [stupidity???] :)

fair winds

M

That's the mark of a true story teller. You kept me on the edge of my chair! Your friend is a very rare type of friend indeed. He adds much happiness to your family. Brings a smile to my face. Surely you have more?

Thanks for the great read,

Terry B

n/t

nice to see you back! I do have a few more but some of them bend the law a tad and might get me in trouble with some girly critters:biggrin:

guys when it looks like they may get lucky:lol:
Soooo.....did you save them "chocolate Almonds" for Sunny? Much better than the "porcupine" brand;)
I have called Moose in an area of few, or no humans and when three Bulls showed up you literally could not chase the other two away after killing one! It gets scarey when they are hanging around grunting 50 feet away in the deep dusk as you are dressing your kill. Your presence is just beyond their experience and they ignore you and rifle shots after a momentary start.
On the other hand, people wise Moose are very tough to hunt with an ability to travel almost silently even on dry leaves while they know your every move. When you jump them they will make one mistake though, run for a few hundred yards, then "buttonhook" downwind to check their backtrail. I have taken many of them by knowing this and "buttonhooking" them:biggrin:

I'm glad your buddy was there to finish off that moose. That could've been real ugly, to say the least ! I'd love to hear some more about your wilderness escapades. Great reads they are !!

much appreciated!
I enjoy remembering and writing them down, problem is, their are hundreds of stories and only a few are exciting.
I was a freelance outdoor writer for a while in the 70's and early 80's and realised that the outdoor market was full of people who were so good that i would need to take a photography course and some lessons in prose just to pay expenses:biggrin:
Our writers here give our little community such pleasure without fanfare and each story is waited on with anticipation! No pressure, just enjoyment:thumbup:

n/t

afternoon to see that you had written some stories! What a treat! Mikie, Royal and Alice really tried hard to find a moose for me to see when I was there. We never did see one though! Then I think Mikie saw one that following weekend! Oh, well, we'll try again sometime.

I do know that the meat tastes like a sweet marinated steak to me! It was just wonderful. Can't wait to eat some more!

Share somemore of your hunting stories with us! I know what a horse can do if you get kicked in the head, just thinking about the damage a moose could do makes me shudder! Glad you had a friend with some hunting smarts! :)

Not for nearly getting your head kicked in.....:lol: but for living the life I dreamed of as a boy.I always look forward to reading your storys and this was another good one!

some of the action......but not the packing out! Often young hunters would ask me, where is the best place to shoot a Moose? I would usually reply.....on a hill right next to a road!:lol:
It is very good meat but i prefer the roasts, burger and sausage. Never was much for the steaks other than the whole tenderloin roasted.