Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Honest Sales Excellent Service"

Ron J

I know the title, reads, like a typical "used car lot" advertisement,but its not to me. In late 1965, Roland D Kelly,risked it all,and purchased what used to be a small Buick Dealership,formerly Whitten Buick,at 381 Rantoul st.in Beverly Mass. The sign was posted Roland D.Kelly Inc. Buick Men Honest Sales/Excellent Service.

In March 1966,I was about to graduate from Beverly Trade School,so i could start,co-op,getting out of school early each day,and working in the field,you were trained in.The auto instructor,Mr.Steedman,sent me down to apply for a job,at Kellys,as a mechanic.

I remember going in to a one room building,and meeting Mr.Kelly. I didn't know any better at the time,but yes,he did look like a typical used car guy,wearing tie,and coat,sitting behind a desk.But at that moment i was hoping to get a job,and hopefully he would be my Boss soon! So he appeared to be a friendly businessman to me! Nice Friendly smile,made me feel at ease. Asked me a few questions,and that was it,I was hired!

Started the next day.Met Jack,Partsman,cashier,tel operator all in one,Harry the service manager,John,mechanic,Jack,(Johns father) who was the lubeman.Jack had the use of the ONLY "lift",an old four poster,run by a 3 stage motor,and cables! The other 3 bays,used floorjacks/stands.We only repaired Buicks.I remember they were from as early as 1949 up to current year,1966. Most were from 59 to 64. Learned alot in a couple of years.

I think it was 1967,"Kell" Got a Subaru franchise.We drove to Boston,on a weekend,to the Hines Auditorium.There was an international auto show that had just ended.We went to the third or fourth floor,to remove 3 or 4 brand new Subaru's and bring them back to Beverly.We had to drive them into large elevators,to get out of the building.

Remember this was an autoshow,that was now ended! 50 or more cars were also waiting for those elevators,3 at a time.What a traffic jam in the building,every Masshole trying to beat each other into the elevator!!

The Subaru thing didn't turn out to well.Remember Asian cars weren't too popular back then,and were a bit crude.... Altho so were the Fiats,Triumphs,Alpha's etc. Guess MG was about the best,and that ain't braggin!!:lol:

In 1968,goodbye Subaruuuu! Kell now got a Datsun Franchise,Alot better,but?? In late 1969,the 70 240Z appeared!! Here we go!!

Then in the early 70's, THE GREAT GAS CRUNCH hit the States! Man, Kell couldn't get enough Datsun's to fill the plate! We were selling a couple of hundred a month! Gonna cut this story abit short,and skip alot of memorys.

Over the years,Kell's son, Brian,took over,and we continued growing.I was Partsmanager for about 14/15 yrs,been Servmgr the rest. The "KELLCO" company,now has Two Nissan Dealerships,Infinity Dlr,Mitsubishi Dlr,Honda Dlr,Suzuki Dlr.HarleyDavidson Dlr,Jeep/Chrylser Dlr,and Motorsports,all at different locations.

This March marks my 40th year at Kellys. I'am not writing this to advertise of course,but just proud of the organization. We always try to do the right thing for our customers,and to uphold Kell's Motto "Honest Sales/Excellent Service" What inspired me mostly to write tonight,is Roland D.,was admitted to the hospital yesterday,possibly a stroke. I can only hope he gets well soon enough. RJ

I will pray for a recovery for him

Sunny skies

M

inspire such loyalty. I sure hope things go well for him.

Don't worry about any story getting long on this site. Heck, that is what a story is. Mine get a bit long too at times but that is how the reader gets a feel for what happened. If the reader doesn't like a long story, they don't have to read it.

I spent 42 years with GM and that was plenty for me.

Thanks for the post and we are pulling for Roland

about your boss ron,hope his stroke wasn't a bad one.i must say finding a honest car dealer was hard to find,haven't bought a new one in a long while,with all the come on ads and stuff.

i bet being a service manager is a pretty tough job,you get it from both ends.staying at a place 40 years is commendable,bet it would be hard to leave if you have made alot of friends that have been there with you all that time.

Kell this morning.I was invited by his daughter,Cathy to visit with her.I could see her eyes starting to tear abit,and Cathy told me not to expect too much.(Since Monday i guess he hadn't improved.) Well,his left side may be parylized,but his spirit is great,and his humor hasn't changed! Kell can stll whip up some good tales,himself! I could see he was just as happy to see me! He'll be going to rehab,in a few days,time will tell! I'am so glad i was invited,feel abit relieved. RJ

and the folks that he works with. It is very apparent that you are working for a company that truly believes in customer service...it starts at the top and goes to the bottom of the organization. I pray that Roland will soon come home from the hospital. Thanks for posting this story, enjoyable reading. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You were just down the street from my daughter. She lives behind the jiffylube.

Dave