Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Homestead Harvest - Finale - Chapter Five

Arkie John

Chapter 5

Now, however cute this may seem to you, it was not so cute to me. With the additional variables added to the equation i.e. (1) the fact the other bird was giving his

by the way, I told Gigi she was not allowed to say the blessing at lunch time, after all, we only have thirty minutes and not enough tine to nap and eat too! :rofl:

so close to home is a huge bonus. Thank you for telling it so well AJ!
Hope "your flock" builds up:thumbup:
Wayne

That was a big turkey, enough for feeding a large family. I hope that the cat's feelings were not hurt because it had to "back off" from getting the turkey. Arkie John, this was a great story, one that I will remember long after I leave this Forum. It was very clever the way that you ended that one part with the arrow sailing through the air...very clever indeed! Thanks for sharing and please have a great day over there in Arkansas Land! Kelley (Texas) :)

So, have you ever had dealings with Moose? Since I have had a couple bites (the only part Linda didn't eat), I've become more interested on them.

A friend of mine at church hunts them somewhere in Canada. He has a photo of himself and his moose kill. I swear, the horns on that animal made a great bow rack. It looked to be 5 or 6 feel across.

Thanks for the compliments, buddy. Now: YOU tell us another story. I once dreamed of guiding but realized years ago that it is a mountain of work!

My flock will not increase until the Spring of '06 seein' as how I am limited out and the "game and fish cops" know it from the tagging I did on him.

aj

Can you tell us another horse story soon? You know, we ALL really enjoy the "cowboy perspective," especially when the cowboy is our friend!

Thanks again, for reading and posting. <><

aj

This story just shows how wonderful is is to be able to be with family, relax and enjoy the good times. I can hardly wait to get out for our turkey season.

All the best

Sunny skies

M

dealings with Moose, all three species. Alaska/Yukon, the largest, they can be nearly a ton! But usually 12-1400 lbs. Canada Moose which are next largest and sometimes 1200 lbs. Finally the "Shiras" or Wyoming Moose which is the smallest, seldom reaching more than 5-600 lbs and found occasionally in southern Alberta and BC. I killed one in south western Alberta once and thought it was a yearling by the size and small antlers. The biologist set me straight at the checking station, telling me i had killed a rare "Shiras' moose. That scared me and i said to him....oh crap! Now i am in trouble! He laughed and said.... nope, its legal and not endangered, just uncommon here:lol:

I know that it sounds "wrong" if i tell you that i have killed over a hundred moose! But we lived on moose meat most of our lives. They were very plentiful and we often were allowed two tags.
Starting in the mid 60's i would every year, take two for our family, plus fill the tags for two or three couples, elderly folks who were not well off. That continued, it was my way of helping good folks. Some of them could not walk much to hunt, so i would put them on a stand and play "dumb hunter", moving intentionally upwind and chasing the moose to them. Everybody was happy, me because i loved the hunt and the disadvantaged folks got out......and got meat themselves.

I started guiding moose hunters in north central Alberta near the historic town of Athabasca in 1969. Mostly American hunters, there were so many moose then that the fish and game division offered cheap tags to non resident hunters, trying to control the population so that it did not become diseased and crash.

Therein lies a (story or three) and thank you for jogging my memory:super: nowadays sometimes it takes 220 volts! Used be fine with 12 volts:unsure: I will post the story soon, it is one of my favorite experiences, one of those hunting trips that spans the total amount of sensory load and is not easily forgotten!
Wayne

I wish that you would tell some hunting stories, would be most refreshing and interesting. Not having any Moose down here in South Texas, I only know about them from reading stories about them in Field & Stream or other hunting magazines. Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

days of splendid sunrises, methodical sunsets. Memories of treking the woods of our youth and of course our senior years. When a 'man' respects mother nature as you so do and share those wilderness adventures in story form, written from the soul--that man adds lift to his wings as he soars above the choppy seas of life. A story will written, I felt like I could see everything happening as it un folded.

back to the future? or, back to the days of our lives!

"""""Come and listen to my story Of Mother Nature in all her glory, Of gardens filled with precious flowers, In which I love to walk for hours. And sometimes just like in a dream, I sit beside a crystal stream, Or maybe in the water wade, Or lay contented in a shade. Come and hear of scenes so grand, Like oceans blue and golden sand, And mountains leaping toward the sky, Where gay and cheerful birds go by. And how at dusk the sun do set, And all my care I soon forget, As twinkling stars and moon shine bright, And in my heart is sweet delight. Come and listen. Where daffodils dodge the late frost, and my thoughts are not lost. Come and listen. As first light, starts to erase the nighttime shadows, I fletched my arrows steady and true,waited and heard the distant roar of destiny's stern drums!Come and listen, if you will! butch...nov-05

and congrats on #10. He'll make fine eatin come thanksgiving! Thanks for takin us along for the hunt!

Dave

n/t

just need to treat yourself and make the time. You are due a vacation yourselves! You can come up with a million excuses, but you could do it, I know you could. I just miss the heck out of you guys! :)