Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Homemade hunting remedies that will save you money.

Arkie John

OK hunters, you all know that we stink, big time, to all critters in the wild. Well....now hear this.

I finally used all of my fine $13.00 Scent Shield, scent eliminator stuff. I noticed from the git-go that it had a white powder substance that always settled to the bottom. The directions told me to always shake it up before applying. In my blind, I got to thinking, "What could that powder in the bottom of the bottle be?" It occurred to me that it could be none other than plain ole' baking soda. Do you know I was right for a change? I remembered Momma puttin' that stuff in the refrigerator to absorb certain odors. Bingo! I knew I had it. This is not rocket science after all. Geeesh!

To be sure, before I washed out the bottle from the factory stuff, I tasted just a little of it. I didn't keel over and it tasted like baking soda water to me! So I made some up and tasted it again. It tasted the same. I was really happy with myself and felt foolish for paying the swindlers at Trader Bill's $13.00 for (just) 22 fluid ounces. I muttered to myself and sprayed down and went hunting. I needed some fresh air. Didn't see a thing, but I didn't bet busted either!

When I came in from the evening hunt, I googled "homemade cover scent and came up with THIS recipe. It's not too far off from my "new" stuff. Here it is.

2 cups of creek water
2 cups of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup of baking soda
1 oz of scent-free shampoo (can be found at drug or health food stores) This is so the scent will adhere to clothing longer.

Mix all this up in a 1-gallon milk jug and let it set for a day or two with the lid LOOSE. This lets certain gasses escape. Otherwise, you'll have a hellofamess on your hands and your better half will NOT be happy with you if it happens to explode in her kitchen :).

Also, the article said two other things: One, that you can make scent-wipes by placing folding paper towels in a shallow air-tight container. Pour the stuff over it and let it saturate throgh and through for a time. Then pour off the excess fluid and seal it up tight. They can be used to "freshen up" during the day or at camp.

The second thing was several testimonies of the stuff REALLY working, several folks killing nice bucks at 10 to 20 yards.

CEDAR COVER SCENT. Another recipe is to gather bunches of cedar or pine broughs and cut them up and boil them in water until the cows come home. The more you boil the mixture the thicker it gets. Do so 'til you think its right. Then pour off the excess fluid and bottle it in new spray bottles that can be found at hardward stores or places like Hobby Lobby.

I have often taken cedar branches into my Double Bull blind and as the time went on, I'd methodically whittle them into shavings, creating a really nice scent. If nothing else, it gave me more confidence that I wouldn't get busted in the ground blind, and it passes the time.

DEER ATTRACTANT. You can make a deer attractant by buying a 1-gallon paint can at the hardware store. Mix bulk peanut butter (from Sam's maybe) with kayro syrup. Kayro syrup is cheaper than molasses. Mix so that it isn't too runny. Next, punch a series of small holes in the bottom of the bucket and hang in a sunny place, a few feet off the ground, after loading it up. The sun is supposed to heat up the mess and it will drip--slowly if the stuff is thick and more quickly if runnier. Mix to your liking, depending upon how often you want to fill it up. It is recommended to use camo tape on the outside of the can, and to hang it several weeks before the season begins. An old coat hanger fashioned just right will do nicely to the tree to attach the bail.

For those of you that hunt animals with keen noses, this might really help you to save a bunch of money. No one really needs all the fancy products. Let the Cabella's reps have it for themselves. :biggrin:

If you don't hunt, mix some up and spray all over. Your spouses might just like you better. :lol:

Thanks for comin' along. <><

aj

aj

eat nothing but veggies for 6 weeks prior to hunting season and the game will pretty much ignore you. A "meat eater" has a deadly smell to the ungulates, honest it is true! I would druther do it your way tho:biggrin:

I printed this out for future reference. With the money Ill save, I think Ill go out and buy me a couple of new reels!

Vacation time is 6 weeks away.

ILY

Lil Brother

...I hunt 6 months out of every year, almost every week-end. Why, I'd dry up and blow away becomin' a veggietarrrrian! I'd starve my little ole' self half to death! :lol:

Arkansas has one of the most liberal bow hunting seasons, lasting from 1 October to 28 February every year, year after year. That's the main reason I began hunting exclusively with a bow four years ago. I went on my first bow hunt when I was 13 and have hunted off and on until 2003. Then, I gave my shotgun to Lil' Brother and declared to be a full-time bow hunter from that time. Who knows what I'da turned out like if Id applied that six months to more productive time??? But...as you know, my friend, some thing money just can't buy.

I'd love to hunt the griz, or moose or caribou, or catch king salmon or the like, but I have my hands FULL keepin' up with these white tails, turkeys, bass and crappies! :lol:
So, I have to do something to otherwise cover up my carnivoras scent, other than starve methinks!

Thanks for postin', bud!

aj

Works like a treat. No matter how badly they get sprayed, they always come up smelling like.... well not roses... but it ain't skunk, and that's the big thing.. :)

fair winds

M

you get more hunting in than most anyone i know that is not filthy rich!:lol:
It does not matter what it is, but the purity of the hunt!
Thanks again AJ
Wayne

in a drunken moment of my youth, that a skunk thrown in the back seat of a car will get your girlfriend from kissing your buddy, well I guess that is what they were doing. It will also get you kicked out of a scout troop.

I have a book of formulas somewhere that has hundreds of recipes for almost anything you can buy in a hardware of many health items. I have not seen it in years but I throw away little so I will run across it sometimes.

That skunk on your buddys bare butt- hummmm?? mebby they weren't kissin'?-will sure empty a car like a cop with a club!

fishin' lessons first before buying more reels! i don't charge much and since you are my brother, I will even give you a discount! :rofl:

I get arrested for baiting here if I tried that peanut butter thing :lol:

for some unknown reason, salt blocks seem to sell out around the first week of Oct. :laugh:

It's funny...hunting on private land takes care of the fish cops. Those guys just don't understand and don't have a sense of humor. But on private land, well, they just have to take it. <><

aj