Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hmmmm XLT OR DFX300 ?

shadow0966

Well everyone I am at a crossroads sorta speak, when I started this addiction 2 yrs ago with the ace 250 I new it was not gonna be my only machine and then the Tesoro Tejon filled a void .
I sold my ace and now want to get a real machine, don't get me wrong the tejon is one heck of a detector but 2 guys I go huntin with have whites machines .One has a XLT and the other has the standard DFX so when we go out I watch them use & tweak there machines . I realize that the dfx has a somewhat difficult learning curve but I don't plan on giving this addiction up so time is not a factor.
I heard that the XLT can go as deep as the DFX nad all the bells & whistles aren't really needed but I am still leaning towards the DFX, so can someone help me with my decision.

I have been metal detecting since 1965. I started with a top line Whites detector and upgraded my machines every 5 years. Just about 5 years ago I went from the Spectrum xlt to the DFX. Yes it takes a while to learn but once you do learn it you will find that it can't be beat.

To me, it comes down to hunting environments. If there is going to be a percentage of your time hunting salt water beaches, the DFX will perform much better than the XLT in that environment.

Due to it's dual frequency ( which can be changed to single frequency 3kHz or 15kHz) and the ability to change filters, it is a much better machine on the beach.

I use it both in the wet sand and dry sand. When in the dry, have a 15kHz program set up ( using the smaller 5.3 inch coil) that finds small gold jewelry better than any machine I have ( which include an Excal, Cz6a, Tejon, X5, BHID300). The program is a bit noisy, and it starts from the prospecting program, but it finds earring backs, small pendants, chains ( along with lots of small foil !). But, that's the trade off.

I believe the DFX is much better on gold than the XLT.

The DFX is not that difficult to learn, and to me, a lot of the adjustments that can be made really never get adjusted. There are only 6-8 main adjustments I make ( pre amp gain, filters, sweep speed, etc.)...the rest I never change. Plus, once you set up a program at a location you hunt frequently, it becomes a turn on and go detector...just load the program and start hunting.

JC

You can't really go wrong with either choice, but if you chose the DFX, I might suggest the 950 coil over the 12". A 12 inch coil is a bit large for most general hunting conditions and I think you would do better with the smaller coil, and then a smaller one yet for the trashy areas.

I've been using the XLT for the second season now and it's been my detector of choice for land.
Have just purchased a MXT but will not use it till next spring.
Not familiar with the DFX:unsure:

My DFX 300 arrived a week ago Friday.It has the new Whites 10.2 Coil. Going to order a Sun Ray Invader DX-1 tomorrow.When it comes I will get it all together.Cant wait to get it all going. Go DFX...

That would be a big upgrade to the 300, to ship with the 10" D2 coil. The Super 12" 300 was a big flop IMHO.