Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Historic Markers..... Adventure right in front of your nose! Part One..

Ron J

[attachment 114033 DSC05990.jpg]Historic Markers....They seem to be everywhere, every State , every Country.... As i mentioned, adventure right in front of your nose! Next time you "fly by" one, stop and read it! Most are in plain view for hundreds of feet, others, you may spot if you are stopped in traffic, or walking, (heaven forbid!) :D In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, where i was born , yes a true Yankee, there seems to be hundreds of historic markers, and places too see or visit, where ancestors of our United States, started our beautiful country, with bloodshed, hardships we could not imagine, and being daring citizens. We have all heard or read about, The Mayflower, The Pilgrims, Plymouth Rock,Pocahontas, The First Thanksgiving, The British,The Minutemen, The Revolution, Concord, Bunker Hill, The U.S.S. Constitution, and on and on i could go. But those mentioned are well known to any school children during the fifties and sixties. What i am writing about are mostly Roadside Markers, not tourist attractions. When ever or where ever i drive, i ride past these soldiers of history. Just a paragraph, or a statement, but one of unknown importance, perhaps marking a landmark, oldest house, a historic farm, battlefield, church or even a tree! Rarely have i stopped over the years to find out what the heck is so important that somebody took the time and money to cast these tablets, and place them in a place of prominence. It finally hit me a few months back, just WHO did come up with the idea, and WHY? I found a ton of information, and more than i would ever think of finding about these Markers. I wanted to know how many were in Massachusetts, let alone the rest of the Country! While searching i found a book for sale on line, a little pricey, titled "Historical Markers Erected By Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission". published in 1930, same year all the tablets are dated, 1930. I procrastinated about buying the book, heck , i spent hundreds on foolish :D metal detectors! Why not the book? I held off from buying it, hoping a less expensive one would come along....not quite... Oh well.... A week ago, it still bugged me, i didn't buy that darn book. I started searching on line, an low and behold, i found one, that i could actually read on line for free! Its kind of bland, but the information is priceless. More to come.... Here is a picture of what i am writing about...Got your attention yet? :D Rj

I see them all the time also and stop for alot of them. More so since I started Geocaching as many are hidden around them or close by. Most of the little villages around these parts have them but like you, I'm amazed at how many are inbetween towns telling of what was long ago. those would make interesting picture stories for sure. Good project when I'm out and about. With the history around you, there has to be a million of them. We still have a lot of the old stone mile markers on the Kings Highway. I traveled alot of it looking for old camp areas that might still be available. I found one, not to far from here. Untouched so far....

George-CT

you can't beat free:).the historic markers in texas are black on silver and from the road you can't read them,so i stop and read them sometimes.there is usually a road sign that gives you a heads up that there is one ahead.theres one about 10 miles down the road from here,apparently there was a brick plant/kiln there.its a open field now,think it existed during the civil war and a little afterwards.

Funny, but the area I live in was first settled in the mid 1700s.....There are several of those markers around these parts. Even though I was born and have lived here most of my life I have never took the time to read most of them....I will now

Great news on the book too.. :):

fair winds

Micheal

said you got to get out here and read them, with the black background, and silver letters there hard to read from a distance. A lot of them here in Texas or not that accurate on the location, just in the area, to many small battles with the Mexican Forces in farm fields or down a around a river. Though some really good ones here of stuff I never heard of. When I worked up on the East Coast some years back I kept seeing this one going to the boat so one day I said I got to stop an read it, it was the starting point for the battle of the Ironclads on Hampton Roads. It was to me a eye opener to where I was and the history around me. I still stop as often has I can and read them, even take a picture of them so I can read more about it.

do a road trip through our west. They are extremely interesting and many times a person would not have a clue something of significance had happened in that wide open spaces.

I remember seen a place where the indians would run buffalo off the cliff to kill them. The Lewis and Clark route is well marked. They are worth stopping and taking a rest at and learn something :D

of how Desoto came through our town on horseback! We probably have more that I do not remember right now! Good stories, Ron.