Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Historic Maps on your GPS

I just traded up from a Garmin eTrex to a Magellan Triton which has the ability to store & display maps using an SD card. One of my first experiments was to load an 1895 topo map showing structures onto my GPS. It is a multi step process, but once you get the hang of it there is no more need to stry to stretch and skew maps in Google Earth and then manually enter coordinates.

If anyone is interested I will explain the process.

Here is the screen shot of what I came up with. I am very excited to use this in the field!

Very nice,let us know how it works,if you go to a spot!

Harold Reese

i would like to know also.
i have marked way points on google earth then transferred them to my garmin so that they would show up on any map i use but i would love to actually have the old topo maps in the field showing my points. that would give me a road map card with my points, a new topo card with my points and then one card with the actual old topos.
i look forward to learning this trick.

Download free "TritonRMP" from http://www.msh-tools.com/)

Open "TritonRMP"
File>Import Images
select your saved *.jpg file

enter calibration coordinates for NW corner of map (Point 2)
scroll to SE corner of map
enter calibration coordinates for SE corner of map (Point 1)

These coordinates are located in the corners of the topo maps. If the topo is broken into four quadrants, you will have to use the map grid to figure out the coordinates of the corners. I found it easier to crop the maps so that the corner lined up with marked coordinates

Then:
calibrate
Create RMP
save as *.rmp
exit "TritonRMP"

Open "VantagePoint"
Library>Browse (Maps)>Add Map>select your saved *.rmp file>view map
If all done correctly, you will be able to zoom to see the topo aligned perfectly with known highways & secondary roads.

I like it! Very nice, seems less complicated than other ways. Which model do you have? Is one better to get?
Thanks,
Cal